1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow has low power and moves slow! Help!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lawnprolawns, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I have a two-month-old Boss 7'6" Standard Duty mounted to a 2003 Chevy 1500 with dual batteries and a new stock alternator. I just got the truck in the fall, so I dont know how old the batteries are or how much they've been used.

When I first plowed this season the plow had plenty of power to turn while pushing, stack big piles, etc etc. Now it moves slow, barely turns with a load, and seems to draw a lot of electricity. The volt meter in the truck drops to 10v or so quite often and takes a minute to get back to 13-14, but even then, the thing still moves slow and lacks power.

Tomorrow I'm going to put my buddies plow on my truck and see what it does, hopefully that will tell me if it's the plow or the truck. Have any of you had plow related problems like this, or should I concentrate on the truck side? I'm thinking I need to get a HO alternator and possibly one or two new batteries, but that's going to get pricey!

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. rickbays

rickbays Member

Did you check the fluid? It may be low.

3. lawnprolawns

Topped off the fluid, that should be all set.

4. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I just posted on another post about almost the same thing. Mine was acting slow and seemed to be drawing alot of juice. Today it stopped working and, after going to the dealer, was told my motor is shot. Your could be going......just another idea!

5. lawnprolawns

Yikes.. that would suck. How old is your motor? Mines only two months old, hopefully it's not bad already. Good thing there's a two year warranty!

6. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

My plow is three years old. I didn't realize that your is only two months. Hopefully your is not the motor!