1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Hard on the truck???????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowpro2210, Aug 14, 2008.

1. snowpro2210

snowpro2210 Junior Member

:help:Ok first off im a newb when it comes to plowing so bare with me for a little bit. I did lawn care maintenance this summer and have a 1997 4x4 Ford F150(Pic below) my questions are how much wear and tear will this put on my truck. It already has 185,xxx miles on it now and is running pretty solid but i need something to do during the winter and i said for get working a job that pays $7.50 and hour so I was thinking about putting a plow on my truck and doing snow removal this winter.

?1. is this a good idea
    ?2.how do you all advertise
    ?3. will i make a decent amount of money doing this( i live in Ohio also if that helps)payup
    ?4. will i also need a salt spreader.
    ?5. how do you all charge.payup

Thanks Mike

My new toy3.jpg

new toy 44.jpg
  2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Number 1 thing is insurance, you need that. Also how much snow does your area avg? If you have never plowed before, i suggest perhaps working for sum1 first. This way you can learn the in's and out's of plowing. As for wear on the truck, yeah if you plow like a mad man it can take its toll on it. There is alot of info on this site, im sure every1 here can help you out. Good luck!:waving:
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

^^^^ All very good advice, and yes plowing is very hard on a truck even more so on a half ton.
  4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I can tell U from experience (because I had 1 when I 1st started out) that IF you put a plow on that truck (and not just a Ford but any 1/2 Ton) you will quickly go from saying a "I have a nice truck" TO "I had a nice truck"!
    Sure you CAN plow w/ just about anything, we even have jeep rite now, its just a matter of how long it takes U before its trash! BTW if I had to say I don't think our jeep plows anything bigger than a 10,000 ft2 lot. It does OK.
  5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

seeing as you have minimal to no snowplowing experience i would also suggest getting a job with someone else for the first year or 2. that way you will learn about plowing techniques and what-not. not to mention using someone elses equipment and saving yourself potential headaches. starting around October, guys up here start advertising for plow operators, keep your eyes open, or just go ask some companies. Thats what i would suggest you do before you decide upon spending money on the plow, insurance, wear and tear, etc.
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id say the same thing...

unless ur going to pass out flyers and do drive ways, but the commercial bids are closing quickly, and you really dont have a starting point,,,

trust us when we say learn on someone elses truck,

1/2 ton+plow+new plowdriver+(that year ford), = nothing but problems

if you had more experiance, then your 1/2 ton might get you by. but combune all those facts, and your goin gto have a head acre, plus you are already behind the curve ball on signing up accounts
  7. snowpro2210

snowpro2210 Junior Member

Thanks i think ill take all your advise and save my truck and plow for sum 1 else.
  8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

You could also consider snow blowing. I used to only do driveways/sidewalks ONLY. You can drive your 4x4 truck around while its snowing and after the snow is over. I could get an easy $40 for small driveways snowblowing and thats talking 6" snowfalls or less. A good JD or i have Simplicities in my signature that are around $2k, sure its a 4th of the cost of a plow and salt spreader. pray for snow :)
  9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Starting out

You could always sub contract you and your truck out to a snow removal company, but I wouldn't do it with a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton is kinda the bare minimum for commercial plowing. Do you need a 3/4 ton for your lawncare business? You already have commercial insurance right? There is good money subbing. I have subbed for about 10 years. There is better money on your own, but I have enough responsiblity with my regular job that I'm happy making a little less per hour and all I have to do is get up when called, clear my lots, and turn in a bill.

I don't have to stay up all night to check on snow, worry about someone slipping and falling because a lot wasn't salted right, wait months for a business to pay it's bills.
  10. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

i plowed the driveways for my regular grass cutting customers for 2 years and you learn the ropes of plowing at your own pace and its pretty easy on your truck. and the money is ok its not like a commercial lot but it will keep the money going in the winter, as far as salt for a driveway i just used a fertilizer spreader and 50lb bags and charged 50 cents per pound spread. but most people dont want salt since it eats concrete but i've used potassium chloride on church sidewalks and stuff and charged $1 per pound spread
  11. elite1msmith

from chicago

no , plowing is not easy in any way shape or form on a truck, even a big one... you say this statement now, but give your truck a few more yrs, when the trans starts to go from too much shifting, ur lots of pushing with the rad/coolers blocking airflow, at low speeds... you batteries and ALT go bad form the electrical draw, and almost every u joint, ur ball joint at somepoint takes a ---- finnaly the truck starts to rust, even if you dont spread salt, ur still driving around in it all night long....

plowing as i have often heard or refured to it as a "controlled 20 mph crash, ever other min, for 8 hours straight"
  12. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

it'll be hard on any truck, i really wouldnt want to be plowing alot on my daily driver. and if your new then that makes it even more worrysome.

if you can get a job with somone else first, learn what your doing..then think about it after.

my friend will be learning to plow this winter at the carlot he works at, he asked if he could learn on my truck...i'm still debating on this...i only see problems.

goodluck with whatever you choose!
  13. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like my half ton. and no matter what you do to maintain it............something needs to be replaced!!!!
    lol. :D
  14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i dont own any 1/2 ers
  15. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

lots of good advise...

look, you cant go out and plow a ton of lots with that truck....
    but, if you match the right size plow, and keep your accounts down to a few driveways and small lots, and dont drive like a nut, it will work for you for a while....good way to learn....

but you HAVE to have insurance, and its an add on from the lawncare insurance, not the same....

i started last year with a 93 f150, with a lighter dury plow, and a set of timbrens.... worked great, now im changing my front end parts, already did all the u joints, and changing all the differential and tranny fluid, ill be ready to go for another year....

but i do have a newer truck for a backup just incase, with a plow mount ready to go.....