1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow gurus for dodges look here, please!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, May 11, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I want to buy a blade for my dodge 2500 diesel and I was looking at the Boss blade. What are your opinions I should get, I dont need a vee plow but I do want a durable on and what can my truck handle it doesnt have the plow prep package, thanks alot. Oh yeah the guy said a boss 7'6 installed 3250.00 is that a good price?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm partial to Fisher plows, but Boss seems to be making a good product. I'd suggest you put at least an 8' on that 2500, 7'6" might not be wide enough for your tracks. Can't speak to the price, really. Is that new? From a dealer?

I think Boss has both - the Full Trip and Trip Edge. Which are you planning on getting? If it's the full trip, pay attention to where the spring's eyebolt mounts and if the hose contacts the spring. If there is contact, you will wear out the hose fairly quickly. Just make sure you have a spare hose (even for a new plow). Check with your dealer, there may have been a fix already.
  3. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I had a 7'6" Fisher straight blade I traded in Feb this year on a 3/4 ton, Ford. My new truck 1 Ton 7.3 diesel :D I went with the Boss 8'2" Vee, fantastic for plowing and stacking.

I believe Capt Devo is still a sponsor here, check with him, I know he is a Boss dealer.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your truck will handle pretty much any straight blade,even without the snowplow prep package.The HD service package that you get with the Cummins gives you most of the plow prep package stuff.Adding a set of Timbrens will help keep the front end up as well.Some ballast in the rear will keep the truck balanced and help pull weight off the front axle as well.

I would go as big as possible on the front of that truck,as it will push it no problem.It's just a waste with a little 7.5 ft plow.Min 8ft,even better,a 9ft.
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Id go Boss 8'0" straight blade trip edge on your truck. It weighs approximately 878lbs complete. The Boss Trip edge plows look to be very durable. The ford dealer near my house ran a 2003 F250 this winter with one on it and it looked to push snow very well.

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I would consider the Blizzard 810. The expandable sides are great for width but it isn't as bad in traffic as a 9ft straight. I saw one at the regional SIMA training. It made me drool. I have an older chevy dually and may yet go get a Blizzard.
    One last thought. consider the dealer too. You will need service on anything you buy, even if it just blade edges and wear feet.
    I wish I was in your shoes...
    NEW TOYS !!
    Good luck.:bluebounc
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

szorno, If you have a pre 82 cheve without the 3 hole side mount for the bumper bracket you'll want to ask some questions before trying a midnight install on that older Cheve. If your near Leadville stop into the brewpub and visit with Howard. He will be able to walk you through it.

Got a couple of them running down here with posi front and limited slip in the front. Tough unit to stick and they really push the snow. Getting ready to do one on a 85Blazer with 1ton running gear and a old Diesel. He's pushing a heavily build up 9' Fisher now and will loose about 400 lbs with the 810 and be even up with the 8611 he want's to run.

8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I am going to see howard some time in July. got a camping trip building for Turquoise lake nearby.
    My chev is an 86. I should be OK. Still suffering from the last 2 years of horrible snow so the Blizzard may be a pipe dream for another year. Impressive piece of equipment though. (drool...):nod:
  9. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Dodge Cummins, can't say enough about them!!!!!!

I have a Western 8.5' MVP and I will never go back to a str8 blade, if I have any say in it. If you are serious about plowing then think long and hard about the V-Plow, they're roughly 20% more efficient and can really move some snow.
    As for a ballast, I start out with 2,450lbs in the bed and work my way down from there. The truck handles the weight and plow no problem. If you have any other questions, drop me a note and I'll try to help. Kenneth.pagurek@verizon.net
  10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Craftybigdog did u look at the blizzard , I just got one its built really good and a regular 8' blade looks like a midget compared to it.That dodge will handle will be able to alot so dont underestimate a bigger plow.
  11. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

hey jason, DEFINITLY go with a 8' blade. You'll be sorry if u go 7.5. As far as what kind, If or when I get a new truck and doesn't have a plow I think I'm going to go with either Boss V or a Fisher V. Even plowing driveways I could see a need for a V. The only reason I have Meyers now is that is what I bought with the truck. By the way both of my trucks have 8' C-8 steel blades. I just turn a couple of cranks on the torsion bars on the 95 and I'm good to go. The dump I have super duty springs installed by Blue Hen springs. Truck barely sages 3/4 of an inch.