1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow goes up instead of left.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by devins, Feb 18, 2011.

1. devins

devins Member

hey guys, my Grandpa has a ford truck with mm1 plow on it. the plow will go to the right, but when you hit the switch to go back to the left, it goes up instead. it will go back left when you hit a snowbank, but that's it. why would cause this to happen? i thought it may be ice in the line, but it has been45-50 degrees most of this week, any help is appreciated, thanks, devin.

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a solenoid problem to me.Open the plastic cover behind the pump and check and see how your wires are setup on the solenoids.The plow is supposed to do that if you hit something the relief valves do that.

3. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

S-2 will cause this.. r-r the valve and coil.. i have had this happen to 6 of my customers already this year.. odd to see this many but ... atleast its a easy fix/

4. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Its the S-2 cartridge. The MM 1 do it all the time. We keep a spare in the shop at all times. Takes a minute to replace.

5. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

It may be the S2 but make sure first check all the grounds on the coils as well. For that matter , check all grounds everywhere. And while your at it check ALL of your electrical connections, because more often than not that is the problem, and it's cheaper than buying a coil cartridge you didn't need.
    Good luck. I would like to know what fixed it.

6. stargazer

stargazer Member

I agree. Right in the back of the pump/reservoir is a ground stud and nut. Be sure to remove all wires, wire brush everything, and re-install, coating everything with dielectric grease as you install.

Also, when I remove valves, first I carefully screw them in till they bottom out, counting the turns and fractions of a turn. Then when I replace them (usually after cleaning) I screw them in to the bottom and back them out the correct (written down) number of turns.