1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow goes up/down but stuck in VEE.....

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mjstef, Oct 15, 2010.

1. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Picked up a used EZ Vee mounted to the same make and model truck i have. Tested it out and everything worked fine. I removed it from the guys truck and marked all the wiring myself. Installed it on my truck, hooked it up tonight and looked like all was well. I picked it up to move it, carried it across the yard and before i unhooked it figured i would test the functions. Hit the mode button and Vee'd it but that is where it is stuck now. Motor runs but it will not go back to scoop or straight. Even tried the wing mode with the mode light flashing and no luck. Any ideas? I know the mode controller is a POS and i was thinking of upgrading.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

S5 valve is likely stuck open, either by debris stuck in the valve, just a sticky valve itself, or the control is faulty thus keeping the coil energized.

Check the S5 coil for magnetizem with the control turn on but no functions pressed. If it has mag then it's a control issue, if it doesn't then it's in the valve itself. S5 is the lonely one located in the secondary manifold.

3. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Thanks B&B. I'll check that. Anyone got the testing instructions for the Fish Stik 9 pin? All i can find is the 6 pin western instructions......

4. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

We'll 2 top couils and bottom coil on secondary manifold all work. Pulled all 3 valves and the coil actuates them smooth and fast. With truck running, all 3 coils on the secondary manifold light a test light without any buttons being pressed. This don't sound right but i am 12V electrical control stupid. 120/240 i can figure out. Anyone got any ideas????

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check for magnetizem without any buttons pressed as I mentioned before and see what you find.

6. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

None attract a screwdriver while removed and all light a test light. Tested all 6 just for the hell of it. Also had every valve out with coils attached and tested with 12V and all valves function. Looking more like a controller issue. Looked for a 9800 control to get rid of the mode button and its $328 at the cheapest place!!!! Nobody in my neck of the woods runs a Fisher. They just tear their trucks up with Boss products. ( saw a guy last year hit a frozen rock on a logging road in V config. and almost tossed his arse through the windshield as the Boss wont trip for crap in Vee) I may be able to see if the local car lot sells Western yet and tes one of their controllers if i don't figure anything else out. Guess i could just plow in VEE all winter as it goes up and down great!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're doing good so far. As another test before condemning the controller, trigger the motor relay with a jumper wire and see if the right wing retracts. Or use a jumper and trigger the S3 coil and the motor relay together and it should retract both wings.

8. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Both wings are already retracted. They both retracted with the controller last night and that is where they have been ever since........

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My fault, thinking we're stuck with the wings forward.

Instead, jumper the S3, S4 and S6 coils then trip the relay as I mentioned. Should run both wings forward into the scoop position. If it does, disassemble the controller and check the F2 fuse with a DVOM for continuity. May have popped the F2 which will cause it to lose all functions except raise/lower if it's already in the vee position.

If the fuse is ok then it's time for a fresh control board or controller.

10. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Happened to me mid storm last year, happned to be the controller

11. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Yup!! Both wings move forward like they are supposed to!!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  12. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Used OHM Meter on the 20K scale. F1 Fuse shows 0.00 or good. F2 shows 4.71 which i am supposing is no good. Do the auto parts stores carry those little buggers???

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No but most Radio Shack's usually do.

14. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

After hot wiring it i got it to full scoop. Hooked everything back up and jumped in the cab and the wings will retract again but won't go out. I guess F1 dues up, down and retract??

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, the F1 fuses all valves in the primary manifold (S1, S2 and S3) which are only needed for raise. lower, scoop, and left wing retract. The F2 fuses everything in the secondary manifold (S4, S5 and S6) and that's why you'll lose all functions those valves are needed for...such in your case.

16. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

15 miles to town. Do you have a fuse # so i can call? Can't seem to find a part #......

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't know the RS # off the top of my head sorry. Bought a bulk quantity from a local electronics supplier some time ago so I haven't had to source from RS.

18. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Your best bet will be a Radio Shack or something of the like,otherwise Fisher part#69190 for a pack of 5,beaware,the list is around $40:eek:
    Were ya gettin yours B?

19. mjstef

mjstef Senior Member

Was at radio shack and they don't have em. Does that Fisher # convert to a Buse #?? Any online source??? Also any place to buy a 9800 controller for less than $325????

20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Probably work a trade and some $$ if your interested,i've got a couple Western 9 buttons,used but like new,could swing a deal on one if you like
    BTW-Fisher/Western controll,same thing just different color keypad