1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow gets stuck left

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by to_buy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I service about 25 meyers plows and have found when they come in stuck to the left I change the "C" cartridge and they are fine. It doesn't matter if it is a E-47 or E-60.
    What am i missing please help

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're not missing a thing. The C valves are well known to fail regularly due to an undersized for the job cross over valve causing the C valve stem to swell. They've used the same crossover design forever, and killing C valves due to it's inadequacies has been an issue forever.

And the tougher operators are on the plows (striking objects) the quicker they're damaged due to those cross over valve inadequacies.

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the help B&B I have been doing this for 14 years and thought it was be doing something wrong or missing something. Now and can start the year with a clear head.
    Happy Holidays

4. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I just had the C Cartiridge replaced on mine today. It would only angle left, both when I hit the left angle button and also the right angle button. Switched it out - no problems. I have the E-58H newer style.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they're not immune to the same issue either. We had high hopes for the E58 when it was released. Hoped Meyer had addressed all the issues and especially so on the cross over valve. But it didn't happen.

I'll hope once again that the Monarch units fix all the common issues that should have been fixed 20 years ago.

6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I wish I had read this before I bought a B valve instead of a C valve. Oh well!

7. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Western's don't have this problem. Maybe Meyers should read these forums and learn from Western

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. For those it's normally dying grill connectors and controllers. Not too often a valve issue.

9. tracker17

tracker17 Junior Member

Just new to this game. I have just experienced this. So where would I locate the cross over valve? I have a M-683.
    Thanks in advance.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Particularly in poorly maintained units. Rust and corrosion limit motion even further. I've seen them so corroded they are no long capable of actually reliving pressure. Units that regularly eat valves often can benefit from a crossover adjustment or replacment

11. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I hooked mine up for the first time today and it is doing this exact same thing. Do you replace the COIL or the whole VALVE? Thanks!

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/sno...oductID/143204/Default.aspx?SortField=EAN,EAN

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/sno...oductID/143211/Default.aspx?SortField=EAN,EAN

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depends; if it has power but no magmitism at the coil, then valve, no magnitism at the coil than coil. be safe change them both.

13. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I'm no expert by any means but I have read where people change out the C valve and have the problem cured, but unfortunately only for a short period of time then it's back to stuck left/right.I have a similar problem, plow will go left or right fine as long as I don't go to the end. I read the service manual for the E47 and in the troubleshooting section I followed the flow chart and it appears that the fix for this according to Meyer is to weld on some new stops on the sector frame.
    I am curious as to wether it could be related to the pilot check valve?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's related to slop in the aframe /quadrant. the wear allows the unit to swing past center and mechanically lock up, put the stops in you'll be fine.

15. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I've been following this thread and waiting for bashers reply. I welded in about a good inch or so and still does the same. PA block replacement?

16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

well I welded on a piece of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron to each side today, the width of the rail on the sector frame, problem solved! I figure the little loss of angle is worth not having the headache.
    Good Luck!