1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow gets stuck angling

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Antnee77, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I have an awkward problem here with a MM1 w/Insta-Act: The plow works great until every so often when I attempt to angle it left, the plow almost seems to get stuck. It actually seems as though I hit the button to angle it left, and then immediately hit the button to angle it right, as it angles back in the direction it came from. The ATF is full in the reservoir and all the rest of the plow works flawlessly. And once you go back and forth with it several times, it frees up and works like it's new. I think it may be a bad Fish-Stik. Anyone have similar problems?
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have the same plow and have experienced a similar problem. What I found was the safety chain was occasionally getting jammed between the A-frame and the angle cylinder/frame on the back of the blade. Wiggling the blade back and forth would clear it. I ran a bungee cord from the hook on the lift arm down to the safety chain to keep some tension on it to keep it up and out of the way.
  3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Does it stop or continue to angle back right?If it stops check the chain as mentioned(happens often),if thats not it then its a bad poppet check valve.
    If it actually goes right after it stops then it's probably electrical and in the controll.
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Thanks for the advice. I will inspect it.
  5. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

wfd You said it before I could. Its the safety chain. It took me a while to figure it out on mine when I got it a few yrs ago since it didnt happen often. Get out to look at it and everything looks fine. If you shorten it up to take in the slack, you cant drop the blade far enough when you crest a slope. The bungee might just do the trick though!
  6. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

If its not the safety chain, or controller, its the s4 solonoid/valve sticking.

These valves ARE rebuildable/cleanable.