1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow fro 32,000 GVW truck.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BIGWIV, Oct 7, 2003.

1. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

:waving: Hello everybody !! New to the site; first post. All thow i've been plowing for 15 yrs. I just found this site 4 months ago. Its a great site

:drinkup:

MY question is: I bought a 1991 Chevy Kodiak 32,000 GVW, Cat diesel 5 speed manual with 14' dumping stake bed. Got for mostly leaf clean-ups, hauling bark,and other odd jobs. I'm thinking about putting a plow on it for a 3rd. plow vehicle. I'm trying to decide to go with a plow like a western or Fisher that runs off a motor & pump 10'. Do they work well are the motors and pumps strong enough to lift that heavy plow quick like a 7.5 or 8.0 on 3/4 tons. Or go with a plow ran off the central hydraulics 10'. How well do they work for speed and dependability? I'm only use to working with Westerns on 3/4 & 1 tons. 7.5 - 8.5

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Central Hydro,

12' frink plow, anything less and your asking for problems.

Geoff

3. Santo

Santo Banned

Do you have a wet box?

4. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Thank's GeoffD there is a distributor 10 miles away that sells Frink I'll give them a call and get a price tomorrow.

Santo I'm not sure what you mean by wet box, if you mean central hydraulics yes.

5. Santo

Santo Banned

Do you have a wet box?
    A centralized hydraulic box? ?

What is it ? A baby 10 wheeler?

6. Santo

Santo Banned

GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN . 10-11-footer

They are a bad a$$ pushin machine.
    Partner has the "97 Kodiak flatbed . put an old car on the back , wrench it down , and go to town.
    You'll be satisfied.

7. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

I'm going to put two of those cement blocks they use for building bins at landscape yards on the back and chain them down and hope we get lots of snow this year.:nod: :nod:

8. Santo

Santo Banned

Yeah , rite on a nice set of LEGGO"S oughtta do it.

9. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Yea Leggo's good idea:p :p lol

10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Go with the Frink I have them on my tri axles and they are super heavy duty.

11. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

The state has a couple of Kodiaks we use to plow the service areas, toll plazas, and some park and ride lots. They run nice. They make plowing a dream for the locations instead of using the big trucks. Plus our big truck blades don't fit thru the toll lanes. Every couple years we have a rookie that finds that out the hard way. You will enjoy plowing with that truck.

Ray

12. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Thanks for the replies I will check out the Frink:waving:

So phillyplowking1 you prefer the 12' Frink over the 10' Meyer?

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea the Frink will run over the meyers,but the F-650s go out plowing smaller more crowded streets so I put a smaller plow on them .I have had no problem with ethier of them.Also they only have a 26,00 gvw so I think the frink is a little to heavy with the juice brakes and all.

14. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Thanks again for the response Think SNOW!!:drinkup:

15. Admiral Hockey

Admiral Hockey Junior Member

I have been plowing for the last 3 years with a GMC TopKick and a 10' western on the front. The Western does not move as quickly as its smaller brothers.
    It's not much but hope it helps

16. BIGWIV

BIGWIV Junior Member

Thanks Admiral Hockey it does help:D I'll probaly go with the Frink depending on the cost. I was quoted $4,800.00 for the 10' Western as long as the Frink comes in around that price. I didn't get a chance to call today I'll call on it tomorrow.

17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Blizzard 8611

Also here's some giant lego blocks for your viewing pleasure.

Why not just dump 3-4 yards of rock in the back, then you don't have to chain it down or worry about it moving....

sorry pic wont load look in this thread to see giant lego blocks.

BTW I think your Flink or Frink are going to come in in the $6-7k range.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know anything about the Frink, but when we put our F800 together a few years ago I priced a 10' Western and a 10' Monroe trip edge. The Monroe was a $1000 more, but these types of plows are made for plowing roads, highways, etc. With the right operator, you will never break a Monroe or Frink plowing lots with them. The Monroe is massive compared to a Western or Meyer.

I think an extra 2 or 3K would be well worth it in the long run. The Western, Fisher, Meyer 10' 'municipal' plows are just larger versions of the plows they manufacture for pickups, beefed up in a few places. The Frinks, Monroes are built specifically for these size trucks.