1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow freezing up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Frog618, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Frog618

Frog618 Junior Member

I have a Western plow that the fluid keeps freezing. I have drained the fluid twice already. Is there anything to run through or add to unit to stop it from freezing.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

water is getting in, Fix that and it will stop freezing.

3. cycles13

cycles13 Junior Member

Did you drain completely?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

froze !

like theplowmiester said fix any leak's ,loose packing nut's ,worn out packing's ,pit's in the cylinder's bad quick coupler's ect. older western's are not typickly prone to get water in the oil ,but loose packing's pitted cylinder's will let the water in on the in stroke when you angle .fix it ,flush it and put about a cap full of nox ice in the oil .:salute:

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

X2 waters getting in somewhere, have to find where and fix it.

6. Frog618

Frog618 Junior Member

Hey, thanks for the help. It nice when someone doesn't state the obvious( plowmeister) and tries to help. I have run this plow for Fifeteen years, other then general maintenance, this is the first trouble I have had. drained the system works good now, main cylinder has some scoring.. Taking it tomorrow to see if they can buff them out. Again, thanks for the help

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try a cap full of isopropyl alchol in the system. It will help with the freezing.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Sorry I was no help... I dont know what you find obvios.

9. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

This works for us but look at the ingredients on the bottle. Some have water in it also.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Pits in the lift piston will cut the seals allowing water though but we normally find angle rams to be the source of major moisture. You need to replace the wipers and packings in your angle rams . They wear (15 years they're worn) and suck water in. Nothing will help with your freezing problem until you stop the source of water. Hope I'm not stating the obvious.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you disassembled the reservoir so you can wipe it dry and clean the filter?

Also, get the new gray plastic breather. That will help some too.