1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow frame scrapping going into driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 7_below, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

whats up everyone?! New to the site. Great info!
    Let me cut right to the chase. To much chit chat kills me when people try to explain their problems.

I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with a brand new 2009 western pro 8' steel blade. I've had the torsion bars cranked up on the truck and the plow frame set at configuration 2 (If you're familiar with the config. set up western plows). Config 2 seems to just right for the angle on the plow and the shoes are parallel with ground while plowing.

I have a few driveways with an incline off the street. When i pull into the driveway(or back in), the bottom of the frame on the plow is scrapping the **** out of the driveway. Not to mention possible damage to the equip. There's only about 4" to 5" of clearance.

Is this normal to have such low clearance with this set-up on a Chevy??
    Anyone else having this trouble with this set-up??
    And..... What can I do??

Thanks in advance for your quick responses!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most trucks will do this . Depends on the incline of the approach . Try going in at a angle .
  3. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Thanx Grand. Driving in at an angle helped me get into the driveway, but it was tough to get a clean swipe at the end of the driveway. As you would heading straight in or out.
    I was thinking about jacking up those torsion bars some more or get some more weight in the back. (on top of the 500# allready) Might be over doing it though on the weight if i put more in...
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't say most trucks do this, although I knew you'd be driving a Chevy before I opened the thread. I think you could go heavier with the ballast and be ok. I run about 750 lbs and wouldn't hesitate to throw more back there if I thought it would help. What size tires are you running? With more ballast and a taller yet still narrow tire you could pick up another couple inches in the front if you are running a small tire currently. Of course you will have to readjust your blade so it's sits flat again.
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I thought the same thing! I was like "This guy has a Chevy..."

Nothing wrong with GM plow rigs, they just need a couple parts on the front when you buy a plow.

Check out part number SSC-13 SuperCoils for GM 3/4 tons that will ADD 1 and 3/4 inches to the front along with the taller tire idea from JDiepstra. (That's a good idea!) 4800 pounds of load capacity, too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

if its a 2500 it has 245 75 tires from the factory(it looks stupid and the stock tires suck) but go up to a 265 75 or 285 75 tire and they make a 2.5 leveling kit that will help along with the ballast all else fails approach them at an angle... i have a lowered show truck i drive in the summer and i gotta take all inclined driveways and RR tracks like that
  7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

thanks everyone for the great input.

I just put on brand new Cooper a/t's 265/75R16 10ply.

Which is the best option.... New coil springs or a leveling kit?

ProSeasons... If I were to get these springs for the front, do the torsion bars and the plow configuration need to change? And do I also need to adjust the front end in the Springtime?

I will also get more weight. Maybe bump it up to 700# or so.
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, but a lot of people say they like the slightly lifted look and get all excited by the prospect of new tires. But yeah, you wil have to dial it all in to where you like it.
  9. builtupbowtie

builtupbowtie Junior Member
    from Oh

I have never seen these super coils before. what would be better a set of those or timbrens? I would imagine the ride would change with adding coils when the plow is not mounted?
  10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You probably would not like the ride. If I were you I would go with the Timbrens. My concern is rather the ride with the plow on the truck.
  11. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Good point... with those coils in the ride must be pretty stiff without the plow on huh. My ride is allready terrible with those torsions jacked up.

Ive heard of those timbrens before. What do they actually do? Just lessen the sag on the front end of the truck?
  12. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Timbrens are just a bigger rubber bumpstop than the factory ones. As the suspension compresses down due to the weight of the plow, they will rest on the TImbrens which will compress, rather than just sagging all the way to the factory bumpstops.

Personally I would get stiffer coils as they will carry the weight of the plow better, rather than just sort of absorbing the sag a bit, if that makes sense.
  13. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

thanks JD... That makes total sense. Are they any other coils out there that you would recommend?
    The link that ProSeason posted doesn't show coils for my year truck.
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Has anyone here installed those supercoils on an 06 3/4 ton GM 4wd? Pics?
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for showing me the thread. :D I have never seen anything like these and I'm wondering also.
  16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yes it does.

Again, your'e looking for part number SSC-13. The ones with 4800 pounds of support and 1 and 3/4 inches of lift. They are for Chevy 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks made 1988 to 2007.

You said you had a 2006?
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Love to see these installed on anything but a pre 2000 2WD GM truck. Because thats all they'll fit. :D

Super Springs brand "SuperCoils" advertisements have been application incorrect ever since they first came out. They don't even make any coils for a torsion bar equipped GM truck..because there's is no place to locate one.
  19. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

yup, i see it now. Sorry proseason. Thought I read a differnt part #.

Hey b&b... Are you saying these shouldn't go on a 2006 chevy 2500hd?
  20. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Sorry 7_below.

I thought the 4wd IFS sat on a coil as well. Holding a plow up and half of a truck on torsion bars is an impressive engineering feat.