1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Frame Mounting Problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Rave71, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Rave71

Rave71 Junior Member

Last night I tried bolting up the plow frame for an older diamond plow onto my 2001 dodge ram 1500. I took the bumper off and got the lower/side brackets bolted up to the frame rails no problem, when I went to install the center section I started running into problems. It seems like the top part of the frame should end up essentially right where the current crossmember is. I took a few pictures to hopefully help explain the problem.
    Factors that I can see causing an issue is the guy I got it from said it came off a 96 and I believe in 99 dodge changed the ram a bit, maybe I have a different crossmember and also I have the factory off-road package, I have already removed the tow hooks but they bolt right into that same crossmember so I don't know if the off-road itself has a different setup. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Photo 1: Crossmember
    Photo 2: One Bolt in each side, swinging up frame
    Photo 3: Same, Drive side.
    Photo 4: Profile from drivers side
    Photo 5: Closer View

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.jpg
  2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Doesn't matter about off road package. You need the truck side for your model year. Call a dealer and see if one is still available. It's usually cheaper in the long run, rather than trying to cobble something together.
  3. Rave71

Rave71 Junior Member

But shouldnt a 96 and 01 ram use the same truck side mount?

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I think there is a difference between the 1500 and 2500/3500 series trucks in the front portion of the frame. Independent front suspension vs full front axle moves the cross members around.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dodge redesigned the 1500 in 99 the mount you have off a 96 is useless for your 2001. You need to get the proper sub-assembly, so off to the dealer you go.
  6. Rave71

Rave71 Junior Member

@DAFF: The 2nd Gen Rams all had solid front axle on the 4WD, even the half tons.

@basher: That's what I was afraid of, I knew the body was the same but I know dodge tweaked them at 99 1/2 so I guess I'm SOL. Thanks for the input.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry my last 1500 truck was a 03... Been a long week.