1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by matt3092, Jul 25, 2011.

1. matt3092

matt3092 Junior Member

I am looking to get into the snow plowing business this winter. My truck that i have right now is a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 1/2 ton 5.3 V8. What kind of plow will fit on this truck? or would i be better off just buying an old truck with a plow already on it? i appreciate any info. thanks

2. highmark923

highmark923 Member

I would recommend looking at the manufacturer's websites and by searching this forum. You might want to look under the Chevy forum on this site as well. I just went through the same process and have the exact same truck. I went with a Western Standard 7'6" plow because I found a good deal used locally that included installation. The plow is also more of a contractor grade so if I wanted to do commercial at some point I wouldn't have to worry about the equipment handling the abuse. Most plows are pretty good is what I found and I researched SnowDogg, Meyer, and Western. After reading a lot of the forums and the users feedback it would appear most are dependable. What it came down to me was the weight of the plow for your truck. Chevy's have a soft front end and if you lean on a 650lbs plow vs a 450lbs plow you will want to consider Timberens, ballast weight, shocks, and tightening the torsion bars. The plow I have is 650 including the mount and the only thing I did was tighten the torsion bars and add ballast weight in the bed (650lbs). These trucks are great for plowing commercial and/or residential.

Hope this helps.

3. matt3092

matt3092 Junior Member

How much did you pay for your plow? I'm looking for a decent used one like yours.

4. highmark923

highmark923 Member

I paid 3k for the full setup, new handheld controller, and installation.

5. highmark923

highmark923 Member

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I run a Western 7'6" Midweight, with wings on my 1/2 ton. Western also sells the HTS plow specifically designed for 1/2 ton trucks, but if your doing many drives or lots, I would recommend the midweight or Pro plow. The front end mods mentioned earlier are a very good idea.