1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for residential

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LarsonLawnCare, Nov 2, 2008.

1. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I am trying to find the best plow or alternative snow removal equipment for 30 to 40 driveways. I'd rather not get anything fancy that costs a lot, I am trying to do it cheap this season. I was considering a large snow blower until I heard about a snow sport. Any options?
  2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

The words 30-40 drives and cheap don't go well together in my mind. Thats a handfull of drives. Too many for a snowblower, get a newer reliable plow and reliable vehicle. And insurance. Do you have all these drives lined up, that sure is a lot for not even having anything to clear the drives yet.
  3. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

last winter I had 20 drives from my lawn mowing customers, I have doubled my customer base, so I am expecting at least 30 driveways this winter. With the 20 last winter, I used a shovel and a backpack blower...never again!!! It took me 14 hours and a few visits to the chiropractor
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For driveways you will need a plow with downpressure or second best is a backdrag edge on a regular plow. What truck do you have?
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A Jeep and a Sno-Way plow is a great set-up for drives. Both can be found reasonably priced.
  6. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I have a chevy silverado 1500 4x4
  7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would get a Snoway with down pressure for your chevy. 30-40 drives will easily pay for the new blade, plus the down pressure will make it so you can do more per hour, raising your per hour profit.
  8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Look around (neighborhood) guys are selling plows all the time, my buddy just got a used western for $500 and it works...
  9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I would suggest a Fisher X Blade for driveway work. 30-40 stops is def a good amount. You should be bringing in a solid $1000 per 6". Dont cheap out on equipment.
  10. jdo150

jdo150 Member

I think that a x blade is a little too much for a 1500 truck. I did about 25 drives before with a snowblower and it sucked. I have been hearing alot about the snoway plows might be someting to look into.