1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for new f450

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsaunders, Jan 27, 2003.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I'm looking for your advice for a plow to put on my new f450 that I will pick up within a week. I'm in New Hampshire and there aren't to many different dealers around. Fisher, diamond, curtis. What would you suggest? The fisher dealer is the closest but the diamond plow can be purchased alot cheaper. Blizzards aren't around here -there's only 2 and the dealer is at least 1 hour away. THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS.
    Joel

2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

How about buy the Blizzard 8611. THEN drive around and show it off to everyone. YOU can become the dealer!:D Just a thought.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Of the namebrands you listed, I would go with a Fisher. The smallest you could put on there Id say would be a 8.5' which you can get in either straight blade or a V blade. Then when you go up to the 9' size, only straight is available in the Fisher namebrand. The absolute biggest I think you could put on there would be a 9.5' Fisher V blade. Are you familiar with the V plows? The V plows seem to be well liked by the guys on this site. Oh by the way, welcome to PlowSite! Mike :waving:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2003
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id go with no less than the 9.5V on that truck.If the Fisher 9.5 is set up like the 8.5 you may bend the wings.especially with that heavy truck behind it. Blizzards-I would make sure you have a good dealer who is open all night if your going to run one of them.the idea is awesone,and they are time savers,but i dont know if id trust one of them.I trust my Westerns,Fishers,and Boss,they all have been great plows.I certainly wouldnt want to be the blizzard dealer,and plow contractor,your broke down, you cant do your acounts,and you got to fix it,on top of that,and maybe a plow for a competitor to.

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I am with you on that one......

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What are you plowing? If you want a V get the Fisher 9.5' If you are looking at a stright blade for road plowing then I would go with the Diamond 9'. The Diamond is made to handle road plowing. Much heavier then anything else out there.

7. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

I will be using the truck to plow drive ways and some small commercial.
    Become a Blizzard dealer that would be nice:rolleyes: no time during a snow storm and then having people waiting for parts when I get home. I will go with at least a 9' plow. The v plows aren't really needed, they would be nice but I don't tkink it would be worth the extra $$$.
    Do the Diamond plows weigh more than the fishers? Thanks Joel
    :drinkup:

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Joel, Welcome to Plowsite!:drinkup:

I've got a 9' blade on my 550 and I don't feel it's big enough. My rear wheels drag through the windrow even on straight runs. I haven't measured the track width on the truck, but it's wider than my plow at full angle. I'm not sure who makes 10' blades, but I would look into it. I'm going to see if Viking (the plow I have) has a 10' that might swap with my sub frame.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Fisher makes a 10', but its the Municipal one and its extremely heavy and Western makes a 10' also which is also extremely heavy. Ive never tried picking one up, just going by web site specifications. :D Mike

10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the Diamond is heavier then the Fisher. Pelican probably knows the answer to this question.

11. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I would go with a V Plow even if you don't think you need it... My 8.5 Fisher V only cost about $500 more than an 8' straight blade I find that it save me a lot of time... and if you are spening the price of a new 450 and a plow the $500 is a drop in the bucket. Lord knows I've blown $500 on things that I get a lot less use out of than I do my plow.

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

first off don't go any smaller than a 9FT blade.stay away from diamond and meyers.the diamonds trip springs suck.u pull the spring apart which is not good at all and its hard on the truck.if fisher is the nearest dealer go with them.V plows are nice but it depends on what your doing with it.if there is a western dealer go with the 9.6 V plow or the new pro plus straight blade.pro plus is made for road use.but trust me which ever brand you pick don't go any smaller then 9FT

13. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We just had a Fisher 8'6 Power Vee put on by Donovan equipment co.in Londonderry New Hampshire.
    There facilty is about the size of 5 Best Buy stores (its huge) I belive they carry other makes also. Im not sure how far Londonderry is from you but worth the check. They might have a web site also. Also the Diamond MDII is a real nice made blade, There system outbeats our Fisher MM1 and MM2 for quick removal! I think Boss has an electric mounting one plus a couple of municiple type blades. Also check up our area at Coastal Metal fab in Topsam, Maine www.sandspreader.com They do have a web site www.donovancompany.com

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, I have to disagree with your opinion of Diamond plows. I ran two of them for 6 years and never had any problems other than accident damage. They both had the original trip springs on them when I sold them. Weight is one of the downsides to Diamond, they are well built, have two attachment points of the A-frame to the moldboard which makes them a bit heavier than other manufacturers. The one I used for street work burned up cutting edges pretty quickly as a result.

If Diamond had offered their plow without the pump, I'd have considered it for my new truck. Yes, the Diamond weighs more than the Fisher.

A number here are expressing their concerns about weight. Remember, we're talking about an F-450, with a 15,000 GVW. I don't know the front axle rating off hand, but I'm sure it's higher than an F-350.

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with pelican onthe weight isssue,on the F450 it really isnt an issue,that truck should have a 6000lb dana 60.Those trucks can take the monster Fisher 10ft municipal plows,amd the Boss 10 ft V plow,both are well over 1000 lbs,a 9 ft Diamond isnt going to come close that fisher 10'MC.

16. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

I hear the Diamond is a good blade. But when I was looking for my plow I noticed Meyer makes a HML 10 which is a 10' blade lighter than a municipal blade, made for the F450 and F550.

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When comparing the same size blades, the Diamond will weigh more. If I recall correctly, my 9' Diamond weighed 1015 lbs.

18. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Joel

I would recommend the Blizzard 8611 for that truck. I am getting a 550 and going with blizzard. I have an 810 on a 350 now and love it. No problems with it at all .(2 yrs ) I do know a person with a 550 and he has a 10 ft western on the truck. He is getting rid of that plow and replacing it with the Blizzard 8611.

good luck with whatever choice you make

19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I recommended the Diamond for road plowing. A Fisher MC could also be used here. They are both heavy road plows. Why not a V? because the dtraight blade will roll snow better and has less moving parts that could be damaged from road plowing.

If the truck is used for lots and such then I would go with the 9.5'V.

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

Go big,10 ft municipal plow,that what that truck is made for.It will tear up a light duty blade.They are also a lot higher and push way more snoy than a smaller blade.