1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for my ford

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by g-landscaping, Jan 2, 2008.

1. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

ok i need some help on what kind of plow should i get for my ford explorer sport trac. im up for any suggestions except for snowsport and snow bear plows.

2. Mr.Finch

Mr.Finch Junior Member

I see westerns and the boss on most of the trucks that come into our shop to buy salt. Personnaly I have a meyer, and I was really impressed when it sat for atleast 2.5 years, and then instantly fired up when I hooked it up to the truck. I was expecting rust and internal corrosion to be a big problem, especially since it was sitting OUTSIDE all that time. Check out the links at the top of the screen, each one chould help you find a plow that will fit your truck (wieght wise).

3. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

i dont think meyers would fit my truck.. they say the drive pro series fits explorers but not explorer sport tracs. there are like the same thing.. im down to the western suburbanite, sno-way 22 series(price depending) maybe there meyer dp series

4. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

in my opinion, which isnt too much since i have no plow yet, but i have doing my homework looking for one for my 01 f150 and i would go with sno way for its DP feature

5. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

sno ways are a lttile $$$$.. i have been looking at the western suburbanite and the meyers drive pro

6. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

How much plowing will you be doing?

7. g-landscaping

g-landscaping Member

maybe 10 house at the most

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Well here is the thing. You could always find a used "plow side" w/o any mounting. I have fabricated a couple plow mounts for obselete trucks. Last one was a '94 Toyota that I got the plow ears and head unit (Meyer) and fabbed the rest. It is now set up very similar to a Meyers classic mount. Fabbed the push tubes to mount plow and put a reciever to mount the old head unit so I can remove whole thing. Anyone you know w/ a welder owe you a favor or like beer?

9. CowboyPenner

CowboyPenner Junior Member

I'm in a similar situation. I have '99 Explorer Sport that I'm looking to use to do my driveway and a few of the neighbours as well as some residental plowing in town and I'm seriously considering the SnoWay 22 Series plow. I just haven't figured out which of the 3 sizes available would be best for me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

All models are perfectly acceptable for the Sport Trac. Weight difference from 72" to 90" model is only 15 lbs.

11. CowboyPenner

With the width of my Explorer Sport....I know you don't want a plow that is narrower than the vehicle.....what do you think would be the right size for the typical subdivision 2 car driveway? I'm not sure if I would be better with the 6'8" or the 7'6".

12. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

If it were me I would go with the 90". As mentioned they are both perfectly acceptable for the vehicle. The 90" will allow you to get done quicker as you can move more snow with it.

13. CowboyPenner

I've decided to go with the 6'8' cause the 7'6" is likely to be too wide for the spaces I'm going to be working in and my comfort level because I'm new to this. Now I just have to find out pricing from my local dealer.

14. CowboyPenner

Ok I just called some dealers to see what they're goin' for around here and prices start at $5500 and go up to over $6000 with DPS and wireless joystick and that's just too much for my pocketbook. I can't believe a little plow like this is so expensive. I did have one person suggest looking at a Blizzard, he said it was $4700 installed and I'm going to look more into that.

15. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

the suburbanite is like 3500 installed