1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for my F-150

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jeffslawnservic, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I do alot or small driveways and this year I was going to try and put a plow on my F-150. These drivewasy are really small. I can probably back drag them all. My truck is a 1996 F-150 4x2. Even though I have a 4x2 can I still put a small plow on front like a 6'5'' ? These driveways are really small so I wouldent be pushing that much snow and it would sure beat using a snow blower.

2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

You probably could, however...I personally wouldn't do it; just one factor alone: what happens if you get stuck? No way for me...

3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Just a warning, you are probably going to get a million sarcastic replies :laughing:

I dont think it would be a good choice to put a plow on this, try to maybe sell it and buy a 90's 4x4 150, or perhaps a 250. Good luck.

4. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

Yea I had a feeling just reading other threads that I am going to get a milion sarcastic replies. Only reason I'm asking is a buddy of mine plows parking lots. Nothing big but small 4 or 5 shop parking lots and he plows his Chevy 1500 in 4x2 on all of them until he gets to one with a big hill. So I was just trying to see if I could do it.

5. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You can do that, but you are going to get stuck at sometime, and you are going to need that 4 wheel drive over having the 2wd. It sounds good but things always sound better lol

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Save money for a 4X4 or have plenty of cash to pay the tow truck.

7. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

Well I have a buddy that drives a tow truck and can tow me for free but I think I will go with the your first choice and save up for a truck with 4x4.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Good choice and good luck in the future.
    Keep reading the posts here and you will be ready when the time comes.

9. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i wouldn't use a 4x2 at all, what happens when you get a 6-8" heavy wet snow fall, you won't move it and as far as a friend with a tow truck, i have 5 tow trucks, and in a snow storm they are out pulling guy's out of ditches @ $150.00 each, don't have time to drop those calls to go pull a friend out of a jamb 4 to 5 times in a night during a bad storm, just a thought

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It's not going to work IMO. All it's going to do is spin and you will be stuck all the time. A 6.5' plow won't clear the tires of a full sized truck. I don't think a 7' plow would clear the tires when it's angled.

11. jeffslawnservic

jeffslawnservic Member

I didnt think it would work either. From reading other posts on here and other people were asking the same question and they all got the same response, "its not going to work." I just thought it would be different becasue I am doing small driveways not lots or driveways a mile long. But I'll just suck it up and use snow blowers till I get another truck.