1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for my 2001 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by S120483, Nov 15, 2005.

1. S120483

S120483 Junior Member

My first post on this board but i have been watching the board closely for some time. This forum is one of the best sources of info for not only plowing but pickups in general. I have a question that I know the plow experts on this board can answer. I recently bought a new home with a half mile long drive. Also there is about a 3/4 mile long road out front that I will plow at times. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed that has 80,000 miles on it that I am going to mount the plow on. Next fall I will be getting a new truck and this will be my farm truck. The truck doesnt have the plow prep but from what I can tell the only things that the plow package adds are things that I have got from the tow package and the warrenty thing is no longer a issue. Is this correst? I think the truck shoudl hold up well to what I will be plowing, nothign commercial here. But now that I am doen rambling I can ask the real question. What plow? I am leaning heavily toward the BOSS
    7'6" poly standard with smarthitch 2. Anyone see a reason to jump to 8' or go with a pro set up for my needs? Also what is the diff between smarthitch 2 and RT3 hook ups? With the plow I am looking for will I need to turn up the torsion bars or add timbrens? Sorry for the long post guys, just want to make the best decision. I appreciate the help and feel free to give me any other advice I didn't ask for liek other "better" plow brands and the such. Thanks

Jay

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Although the 7'6" is okay for your truck, with a 2500HD, I would opt for the 8'. Boss makes an excellent plow, but I'm not sure of their Poly blades.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Your truck should handle the plowing duties you state fine. I to recomend an 8.0 plow if there are any curves in your driveway. The long wheelbase on your truck will lead to you driving over the edge of plowed snow in the curves...

4. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

I have a 7'6" boss SD straight blade, it came with the truck from the dealer. But if I had a choice I would have gotten the 8'. :cool:

5. Go for the 8 footer

If you have the choice, go for the 8foot plow. I had a 7.5 Fisher on my 2500 HD CC and as previously stated, you'll drive over the windrow of snow when making the curves and turns. I modified my blade to an 8.5 and love it. No more scratching the paint with snow boulders rolling into the truck. Good Luck.

6. Rodd1

Rodd1 Member

One thing to also look at is ground clearance if this will be a farm truck from what i have see the western i think uni mount on a chevy has the best also go with the 8ft:nod:

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Well going against the grain here........

This is based on just personal use for a mile long driveway. My advice changes if you think there may be a chance of you doing this for money later

8' is always a comercial blade. 7.5 could be comercial grade(or HD or what ever the specific manufacture calls it) or medium duty. I would go for a medium duty 7.5 blade. 3" on either side of your truck isnt going to mean much. Your also doing your drive and once of your vehicles is a 4x4 pick up. IMO I wouldnt really wory about making a bit of hard pack or driving over your trail off. You arnt doing this for money. I also would go with a steel mold board. Dont worry about rusting through, the components you need to worry about rusting through isnt the mold board and a bit of surface rust on it if that really bothers you(shouldnt get much rust because of your use) its real easy to fix. Not worth the extra weight and the bling factor for your use to go with a poly blade. You dont care about rolling snow and it isnt going to make a difference IMO. Steel is easier to add a set of wings too later(if you decide you want wings and a 8.5 blade).

If you are just going to hook up your blade at home and not drive around with it then you dont need timbrens or to touch your torsion bars. I would run ballast though. Put some behind the rear tires. If you are going to drive around town with it make sure it is secured well otherwise just throw a couple bags of watersoftener salt in the bed before you plow and take em out when your done. Run down your road with the blade only slightly angled to one side, that way if you get stuck you can angle the blade as you back up and hopefully you wont be hung up, you can back and go at her again. You may make an extra pass this way but big deal. Also try to push the snow well back off the drive so you dont creat a snow wall that after a few storms is a PITA to get snow over and leaves you no place to push the snow except straight out.