1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for light use / Tacoma? Whats a good $?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Little Truck, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Little Truck

Little Truck Junior Member
    from Indy

First off I did do a search, so forgive the newb questions, but price is my biggest concern and haven't found much pricing info out there for the smaller stuff.

I have a early Tacoma (95.5) and need a light weight plow for driveways and a few commercial spots that are family owned. I don't plan on large jobs, just what I need to do. I don't want to crush my truck with a plow that is to big.

And, since I cant find a used plow for my truck I may buy new.

So my questions are how wide should I go on a V-6 X cab taco?
    What is a good little plow? I just want power lift and power angle, I don't think I need any down force for this thing as I am guessing it may see only a few snows a year in central Indy and any plow would beat a snowblower.

I Googled the fisher Homesteader, that LD plow looks like it may be an option weight wise, but I cant find a price and I know there are others out there to consider.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There is a whole line of links up above the page. Most of the companies have plows that would work. I think Curtis makes plows for your truck. Talk to guys you see with plow mounts on their trucks. They may be able to point you to used plow dealers.
    You can search snow plow parts on the Internet. The lights and stuff can be bought cheaper from parts dealers. A 6 1/2 or 7 foot plow would be fine for the truck. You might have to upgrade the battery and charging on the truck. You can get swap in higher output alternators off the INTERNET too. A bigger transmission cooler can save your auto transmission if it does not have a towing package.
    Use the search function on the gray line above fine past posts on questions you might have. Might even see if there are Toyota forums on the INTERNET. You could asks questions there about plow choices and experiences with them.
  3. Little Truck

from Indy

Thanks for the tips, but I dont want to take a manufacturer at face value, everybodys own product is best... And many (of the above) sites dont actually list prices, they leave it up to the local dealers...

There is a dealer of the big white plows down the road a bit (Blizzard) but I dont think they have the light tackle and would charge me more for the "special order".

I haven't seen a small truck with a plow around here in eons, every farm boy has a Dodge Cummins or a F250 Dsl.. And the Tacoma forums aren't really into the work thing. I really want to know what I should expect to pay for a light duty plow, if it is close to what the truck is worth then I may just skip it and get a big Ariens.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

personally i would go with a fisher Ld 6' 8" ive heard really good things about them.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway 22 series, use the plow selection guide on the snoway site. The link's at the top of the page.
  6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Fisher LD series.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

When you get done looking at everything else, Fisher will be a great fit for you! Good luck

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Another guy with opinions no plow.

I've heard good things about Tampax too, but I have no experience:rolleyes:
  9. Flipper

from CT

Ok so I will chime in again. I have 2 LDs and two older conventional Fisher light duties. Previously I had Snoways and Meyer 2 meters for these trucks. The Fishers are true commercial duty plows for small trucks. I plow private roads, condos and driveways with them and as I have said I can't count on that truck / plow combo as well as I can my F550 / Fisher setup. The Fishers hold up much better then the snoways or meyers I ran. Period. NO COMPARISON

Now the bad news is that it is getting hard to find LDs. I know of a dealer here with a couple NOS left, I just bought one more as a spare (up in the loft). Used they can be found but often pricey. Mounts are still availale from larger dealers.

Now, Meyer just introduced a new light duty commerical grade setup. I have seen it once in person. Looks well built. Only problem for me is the full trip. Still worth taking a look at though. I am probably going to put one on the next truck. May swap a heavier Diamond trip edge 7ft blade on though.
  10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

FISHER LD. Best little plow every made.
  11. Little Truck

from Indy

The fisher is gong to cost me $3250 + $650 to install !

To much $$.

I called another place, they have a used 7' sport duty, but they still want 3k installed. He mentioned something about a smaller "snowman" and he is checking. I thought those were all pull plows, I don't think I want that... But I will wait and see.
  12. Flipper

from CT

You really get what you pay for.

The big money in plows is the controls. They are the same no matter what the size. A 9ft Fisher and a 7ft Fisher use the same powerpack. To that end all plow hydraulic and electrical systems are basically the same and that is what accounts for most of the cost. The next major cost is the black steel. All the framework for the lift towers / lightmounts, a-frame etc. Though there are different sizes all use about the same amount of steel and welding. even when you get dow to the blade and say its only 7ft, well that is only a foot less then an very popular 8ft plow and again the same fabrication and welding is needed.

The only big breaks I have found with plows is in dealer stock. Obviously the bigger dealers order more plows, get a better price per and can pass that along. This only holds true on popular setups though and the LD is becoming a rare bird.

Watch ebay would be my only advice if you really want to save. Probably will need to take a ride east to find a LD though.
  13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

well plows arent cheap. And your not looking for a common setup so it may cost you to get what you want.
  14. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Get a fisher 6'9" LD.

I have one (minute mount 1) and its perfect--it's a little short so you can't plow lots fast, but its a good plow overall. For residentials it would be hard to beat. I have a 4 cylinder standard cab, 5 speed manual.

Cost was $3000 installed 3 years ago. It's on the second truck now and works perfectly--never an issue on either truck. First truck was a 1998 and this one's a 2000.

You will be amazed at how much you can push.

Make sure to upgrade your battery and alternator, get good tires, and run at least 400 lbs of ballast against the gate. After that, just plow away.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I said, find a used dealer. It will not be cheap, if it was everybody would do it!
    Plowing snow is always a balance of profit vers cost. Some years you make out, some you break even. You also have to figure how long the setup will go. It may cost you $3K now, but for the next 5 years you make $4k a year. Plowing snow can be addictive too.
    Just ask the guys that do it, year in year out. It starts with a few drives, then you wake up and think of / search for places to plow. out.
  16. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Keep your eyes open for a used Fisher LD 6'9 plow. I found one on these forums last year that was on a GMC Jimmy. I had located a truckside mount for it on ebay and snatched it a few weeks before I even found the blade setup I bought. These small rigs make great driveway trucks. I'm going to look for or make some wings for my plow this year.

17. xl1200c

xl1200c Junior Member
    from nj

I would look around for a used Westen suburbanite. ultra light weight easy to use and they do a hell or a job. I got one one ebay for $1100. The mounts and wireing are not cheep for any plow.
  18. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I had a Snoway ST on a 1995 4Runner for 4 years and it ran and worked great, the down pressure was a big plus for the little rig. I did drives and small commercial......
  19. Little Truck

from Indy

Thanks guys. I found a line on a 6 1/2' 95 or 96 Meyer TM-6.5 for $1000, I am waiting on more info to see if the electrics come with it. I will need to find a Meyer mount for my 95 1/2 Taco, but cant find the part number on the Meyer site. I hope they still have em.
  20. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

you might want to do a search for meyer on this site. they dont have the best reputations. i cant comment myself i've never used a meyer. i understand cost is a big issue. consider also how long it will last and how often it will need repair.