1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for chevy step van

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kevintree, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Kevintree

Kevintree Junior Member

Hello all

Recently purchased 1997 P30 Chevy Step Van.

From title weight is 6,910

Wondering if Blizzard 810 to heavy?

What size/type would you reccomend?

Thanks all and have a good weekend.

Kevin

2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

is it 4 whaeel drive if yes is it a dually if its not 4 wheel drive dont bother unless you live in florida and if thats the case dont bother at all
    lol

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Kevintree,
    I don't think the P model was 4x4. Any plowing with a 4x2 is risky at best. The Blizzard 810 is a very heavy, industrial strength plow. If your truck was a 4x4 pickup with that gvw, I would recommend against it. Too heavy. Being a van I would tell you, No Way.
    Enjoy the van but get an older 4x4 pickup if you want to plow.
    Good luck...:nod:

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

thats exactly what i was thinking but coulnt think of the words thank you

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think the weight he mentions is unladen weight, the 30 model would be the 1 ton chassis. GVWR is probably 10,000 or 11,000. I'm pretty sure it's the same chassis as the C30 minus the cab.

You'd definitely want weight in the back, a posi rear and tire chains plus a tow chain if you decide to do it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2003
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I don't think plowing with it is a good idea at all. First off you wont be able to see goos at all backing up or turning around. The truck is im assuming 2wd so it will just get stuck and will not work out in icy conditions. I really think you should get a 4x4 pick up.pumpkin:

7. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

LOL, never saw someone plow with a van before.

8. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I've seen a plow on a bread truck type van:eek: Looks funny though. Actually i see it once or twice a season with the plow on it.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could make it work,just curious as to your choice in vehicles.Is there a reason you want to use this chassis ?

10. Kevintree

Kevintree Junior Member

Thanks all for quick replys

Truck is 2WD

Makes great landscaping rig plenty of room for plants and tools

plan to put 3 or 4 snow blowers in it w/ salt for sidewalks and small driveways

Kevin

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im sure it works fine for landscaping use, but a snowplowing truck it can never be. 2wd doesnt do well in snowy conditions. Using it to carry snowblowers and salt to your accounts would be a great idea, as long as it can get from account to account without getting stuck. Mike

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd just get another truck for plowing.The sidewalk crews would be done,and sitting around waiting while you plow with it.

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

No they wouldnt be sitting around, they would be too busy trying to help him get unstuck every minute or so while he tries to plow with it. :D Mike :drinkup:

14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope that you are joking about using that van for plowing. It could be done, but it would be a bunch of headache for you. 2WD? Forget it. Like Mike said, the snowshoveling crew will be more busy digging out and getting you unstuck than working at your accounts. With the limited visibilty on the sides and rear, it is not really ideal for plowing, especially when doing residential.

But you have not told us what kind of plowing you would be doing. Are you going to be doing residential or commercial plowing? How many of those accounts do you have or expect to have? How small/large (size) are the accounts? Do you get alot of snow in your area? How much snow do you ususally get in a normal season?

In almost all cases situation, you would be much better off buying an used pickup with 4WD. 3/4 or one ton truck would be the idea choice. Be sure that it is in good shape because you will need a reliable vehicle that would not unexpectly break down often during the storms. As for the plow, you might be able to find an good used truck with plow already hooked up to it. But if not, it probably would be better to buy a new plow instead of used unit so you would know that it would be reliable and not have to worry about it constantly breaking down during the storm.

But again, it depends on what situation you are in, what kind of business you are planning on doing, and what equipment you will need to get the job done properly in a timely manner.

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

With weight in the back and a posi rear, he wouldn't have too much trouble plowing level areas such as lots or even streets. Level drives would be OK, but you'd be entering the same scenario as is being discussed on another thread about 1 ton dumps. The truck would be too big and cumbersome for driveways.

I plow most of my street route in 2WD, only using 4 x 4 for the mountain pass. When I was doing lots, I always plowed in 4 x 2 to save wear and tear on the front end. It's not impossible.

I would think he owns the truck outright and is looking to have it earn its keep year round. It might look a bit funny, but I expect it would get the job done. It's basically the same truck as you would see in a 1 ton dump but with a different body. I admire his ingenuity.:drinkup:

16. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I've seen a van used for plowing, but it had 4 wheel drive.

I plowed a couple of seasons with a cap on my pickup and the visibility was terrible. I have to think a van would be even worse.