1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for Chevy 2500hd Suggestions and ?'s

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hoss, Aug 8, 2006.

1. hoss

hoss Junior Member

Hello Everyone, I am new to the site. I belong to the sister site lawnsite.com and saw this mentioned there. I currenty have a Chevy 1500 with a 7'6 Western all extremely used and leaving me soon. I now have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab with D-Max. I would like to get an 8 foot plow. Now, I know many manufactures dont suggest this. Please read further-- I am not going to plow commercially. My family owns a farm with a 3/4 mile driveway, plus there is a very large stone yard, about 2 acres total to clear. We have a backhoe we use plus a truck with a plow. So is a bit more than homeowner but not commerical use. My big question is should I jump up to the 8 footer, will it really hurt my truck that much?? If you have any other suggestions for size please feel free I am not partial to 8 foot at all. The other part is I have a great dealer that I use for alot of lawn equipment, they sell Meyer, Boss and they just started selling the Blizzard line. They suggest going with Boss. I also have another dealer I use for some stuff that is selling Fisher plows so basically I am pretty well set with dealer support. Is there one brand of configuration that will best suit my needs and not kill my truck. I have read that some 8 foot plows are heavier than others which is the lightest and is it significant? Thanks for all the assistance !

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

you definitely want a 8 ft plow. If you want the lightest, try snoway if you don't have that option, go with the plow with the best dealer support

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Although conventional wisdom would say put an 8' on that truck, I think you might just want to stay with a 7.5' if you are doing your own driveway. You won't be so concerned about the wheels outside the plowed area as you make turns.

You want to keep the weight down what ever plow you put on it. The weight concern and basis for the manufacturer recommendation is not so much while plowing, but the weight on the suspension while driving around with the plow up.

I'd suggest a Fisher Homesteader. It's a personal use plow, so it's lightweight. Boss is a very good plow but heavy and I think more than you need for you purposes.

I am a little confused, though. Both these are quotes from your post:
    "I would like to get an 8 foot plow. "
    "I am not partial to 8 foot at all
    "

Again, if you just want an 8' plow, go for it.

4. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I was in the same boat once....The Duramax is around 700 lbs heavier than the same truck w/ 6.0 gas, so that leaves too little room for a decent plow. With a 6.0,like mine, I can hang a 9.5 Fisher V if desired. That being said, I have a 7.5 on my truck and I basically regret it. I don't plow commercially but the places I plow are both commercial and residential and the 7.5 does the job, but If I were to do it again it would be an 8ft.

You can take your chances and put a plow on the DMAX and roll the dice when warranty is needed. If you do decide to put the plow, to GM 7.5 or 8 wont make much of a difference so I would go with the 8. The weight difference is nil and I know the truck won't have any issues with it.

Again, I hope GM wakes up and puts a plow package on a DMAX crew. Everyone else does.

Jim

5. Mick

from Maine

Careful. I pulled this off the Meyer and Boss sites:

Meyer STL 7.5’ 520 lbs
    ST 7.5’ 656 lbs
    STP 7.5’ 708 lbs
    C 7.5’ 769 lbs
    C 8’ 803 lbs
    CP 8’ 928 lbs

Boss 7.5’ Standard Duty 650 lbs
    7.5’ Super Duty 709 lbs
    8’ Super Duty 756 lbs

Just the difference in the Meyer STL 7.5' at 520lbs and the Meyer CP 8' at 928 lbs 408 lbs

6. hoss

hoss Junior Member

Thanks keep the suggestions and comments coming. I want this to be as educated as possible purchase. I did what you did and looked at alot of the manufacturers sites and even got some brochures to confirm weights. I looked at the Sno Way site looks like there plow in 8 foot is verly lite or its a mis print. Anyone know if the weight of there straight blade 8 foot plow is really that low? I believe it was in the mid-high 600's. It was in line with there other listed weights. All I could figure was that was not the complete plow just the blade weight. I am concrearned with warranty but not as much as some people. My neighbor is a tech at the dealer and takes care of my truck for me. So if it were iffy I am sure he could help me out but I dont want to cross the line to much at all. I cant figure how they put the truck out and allow 5-6 passengers but dont allow any plow configurations, I can only assume they cover themselves in case you hang the plow on the front and take passengers also. I did mention this to my friend and mentioned that if I knew this going in I would have gone with the other brand of truck..hopefully its something they address. The rest of the truck is great I like it alot just dont like the restrictions for the plow.

7. Mick

from Maine

Sounds like you're making as educated a decision as practical. To answer your question about the Snoway - I seem to remember that the listed weight does not include the entire set up. If I remember right, the plow has a Lexan moldboard that requires more bracing than a steel moldboard and winds up being about the same as a similar steel plow. So, that's something to keep in mind - check out the entire weight of the plow before you buy it. As far as trucks not allowing a plow but allowing 5-6 people; that also leads to some "deception". What plows are allowed or not allowed is based on vehicle FAWR. Then the weight of the truck is a given, but after that it gets tricky. They take the weight of fuel and lubricants with a full fuel tank. Then they figure the average weight of a person times the number of people that the truck is configured for. That is why a regular cab can take more of a plow than a Crew Cab of the same model. Then figure miscellaneous - such as tools. Add this all together and subtract from the FAWR. What you have left is the allowable plow weight.

This may not be fully accurate for every situation, but you get the idea. If you're plowing with a Crew Cab and only you are in the truck, you have the allowable weight of 4(?) people.

Another way you can do it is to run over a scale (I go to the dump for their certified scales). Have your tank filled and carry everything as you would if you were plowing (minus the plow). Get the Front, Rear and Gross Vehicle weights. Keep these figures on file somewhere. Now you can figure how much plow, sander, sand/salt etc your truck can carry. Another important factor is your tires. Not many pay attention to the load limits on these which can actually get you in more trouble, faster, than worrying about the front end suspension.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway lists their weight with the footnote, "plus subframe @ 85-115lbs"

9. hoss

hoss Junior Member

Thanks Mick for all the insight so far. I was figuring that they did just what you were stating when figuring out what plow could be mounted. I am going to weigh the truck this weekend as you suggest. I never have a passenger when plowing and if so its for a few moments and its a single person. The plow would be on and then immediatly off when done. Like I said before I am not going to use it commerically however its alot more than homeowner use. The one plus is I do not transport over the road more than maybe 2 miles and that is one trip each direction. Its two sites that are my own. I do have a big question for you since you are so knowledgable. If you were in this situation what plow would you suggest? I seem to have all of the major brands available. I do however, think the dealer for Boss, Meyer and Blizzard has the best service. My Fisher dealer is probably going to be great but they just got into this year. They are great with mowers and I know the guys really well but I am sure there is going to be some growing pains. One big factor for me is ease of on/off of this plow. This is the truck I drive all the time so I want to be able to hook up do what I have to do and get it off of there. I will store it on a pallet and move it with a forklift..at least that is how I store the Western for the 1500 I have...which is basically sold.

10. Mick

from Maine

I really don't recommend brands, because everybody has their favorites and each has its advantages and disadvantages. I like Fisher simply because that's what I have and don't have anything to compare it to. I know a couple guys who have Boss and really like them. I'd also suggest that you consider sticking with Fisher since you have a history with them, the dealer is close and apparently you like the product. I really wouldn't worry about them being new this year since your plow will be new. It likely won't need anything, anyway. Get a couple hoses and a few quarts of hydraulic fluid and you'll be fine in case you do happen to snag a hose and pop it. My 7.5' that I bought new never needed anything beyond fluid change in the five years I owned it. But the same could be said of any brand - new ones aren't likely to need major repairs for a few years. My 9' was bought used five years ago. I finally needed a new cutting edge last winter and the cotter pin in a pivot pin broke. Plows in general are built tough.

Go around, check them all out and get the one that suits you best - you've got a little while till you'll need it. If your area is the same as mine, don't expect the salesmen to do much in trying to "sell" you. It was more like "there it is, what more do you want?". So do as much "shopping" online as you can before you go look at them in person.

11. hoss

hoss Junior Member

For anyone that is inquiring similar to myself. I called the Snowway dealer. Asked about the posted weights. They are less the mount. They said there plows are much lighter than the competions simply due to the fact they have a down force device and dont just rely on the weight. Seemed to make sense. I will go check them out. Do any of you guys use the Fisher or a trip edge in stones? I was told by the dealer that sells the meyer and the Boss and Blizzard that I didnt want a trip edge because they dont work well in stones. Is that true?

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use a curtis snow pro 3000 8 ft

13. Mick

from Maine

Be wary of a dealer who bad mouths the competition without verifiable facts and data to back it up. All I use is Fisher with the trip edge. Use them on stone, gravel, asphalt etc. I've never used a full trip, but I can't see how there would be any advantage based on how it trips. The advantage to the trip edge that I see is that when it trips, most of the snow stays in front of the moldboard. The edge simply "trips" over whatever the obstacle is.

Until the ground is frozen, you'll have trouble with dislodging stones and gravel, but you'll have that with either type. You just bump up your plow an inch or so until the ground is frozen.

14. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

8 foot should be ok...our local gm/chevy dealer sells the 2500wt with 8ft commercail westerns on them...so i think it should be ok..

15. hoss

hoss Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all of the input thus far. This weekend I made a few trips to look again and also get a better feel for some of the dealers. The dealer that has Blizzard, Boss and Meyer seems to discourage the Blizzard for my truck and I agree based on what he mentioned. It appears to be a very heavy plow. However, he really pushes the Boss over the Meyer. He says that the Meyers arent the industry standard anymore and he can do alot better on the Boss. He did mention the Meyer is easier on the truck though becuase even though plows have similar weights the way they mount makes a big difference. The Meyers mount with as much of the weight close to the truck as possible. Is this really true?? He pushes the Boss even though making that statement and his prices is about 800 dollars less on the similar Boss plow. I looked at the Snowway and liked what I saw but the dealer didnt impress me so I am leaving them as a distant 4th right now. I just wish I had a good Western dealer to check into. Does anyone have any input on the Meyers?

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

meyers makes great plows they haven been in buisness for a long time

17. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

they make a good plow....they have a nice set up...dont like the touch pad controller only b.c im use to the western fits nice in my hand....but other than that i think meyers is a nice plow...the first plow i ever used and it was great i ran one last year that was from 1989 and still the orig everything and the pump was rebuilt once...it was a back up for the company i plow for...my truck couldnt handel the one lot b.c we got 18inches and it was a big size lot...but i think they make a good plow

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the Blizzard/Meyer/Boss dealer stock all three or is he stocking boss while handling the others (though not stocking them) buying power could be the reason the boss is cheaper.

Meyer is not the industry leader by a long shot. If the dealer you are purchasing from is steering you away from one plow and suggesting another, he probably has good reason.
    I try to sell my customers the best unit they are willing to pay for. The better the unit the happier the customer and I both are. The customer because he has a money maker, me because I don't have to deal with a disgruntled customer. Your Blizzard/Meyer/Boss dealer must find the Boss to be the most profitable, least troublesome, and most reliable of the brands he markets.

19. hoss

hoss Junior Member

Hey thanks for all of the input so far. yes, to the last question, I think they push the boss equipment becuase they are a bigger boss dealer at this point. However, they have been in business as long as I can remember and they were the location that my father purchased meyer plows from back in the early 80's and late 70's. So I found it odd they were able to do so much better on the Boss. I do have a question again, imagine that, for you guys. This time about mounts. Is anyone familiar with the truck mount for the Boss, Western and fisher? My question is does one hang down lower than the others and if so which one gives the best clearance for my truck. Also does one require alot of modifications? I saw the Western and it was low but required no modifications. The Fisher just required a very little cutting.

20. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

The Boss will need very little cutting of the lower bumper cover. It hangs a little low but that is because the Chevy's are so low to the ground to begin with.