1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for a Tacoma

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by tick925, Sep 15, 2012.

1. tick925

tick925 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have a new 2012 Toyota Tacoma Reg cab with a 2.7 engine. I am looking for a plow to do only my own driveway which is 1/4 mile long composed of rough gravel in places and has one steep section. I'm considering the Fisher Homesteader or the Meyers SD 6'8". My concerns are the Fisher is not rugged enough for my drive, and the Meyers is to heavy (375lbs) for my small truck. Any recommendations?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What about a snow way ?

3. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've had a Homesteader on my 2006 Tacoma since new. I'm surprised how well it has held up- the only issue is the factory electric motor is junk. An aftermarket motor for around $100 is a permanent answer. I also added an 8" wide piece of stall mat to the top to prevent snow from coming over the hood.
    One positive about the Homesteader is you can mount a 7'4" plow.

I agree with the comment on investigating Sno Way. If I have a dealer in my area, I will check them out next time.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I would suggest a Snow Dogg 7.5' MD (400lb), your Tacoma should handle it fine.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A Snoway 22 series is a nice match for that truck. Under 300lbs with Down Pressure, simple wiring and a wireless control plus Snoway has a free 4 sight light enhancement package for free right now.

6. tick925

tick925 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the Sno Way has plow shoes which the Homesteader does not which would probably be important on the rough surface. Any concerns about the poly construction on large gravel?

7. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

A steel blade will hold up to gravel better than a poly blade. BUT, if you are pushing that much stone for that to matter, you are doing something wrong.

8. tick925

tick925 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Did the factory motor fail, have insufficiant power or some other issue?

QUOTE=vtzdriver;1490879]I've had a Homesteader on my 2006 Tacoma since new. I'm surprised how well it has held up- the only issue is the factory electric motor is junk. An aftermarket motor for around $100 is a permanent answer. I also added an 8" wide piece of stall mat to the top to prevent snow from coming over the hood.
    One positive about the Homesteader is you can mount a 7'4" plow.

I agree with the comment on investigating Sno Way. If I have a dealer in my area, I will check them out next time.[/QUOTE]

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No problem with gravel but I'd use a gravel edge. check our facebook page for pictures of how to make one.

10. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

I have the homesteader 6'8" on my 05+ tacoma....has held up well (commecial) & Ive noticed heavy, wet snow buildup can over power the motor...i may replace with an aftermarket as Ive heard that is the solution.
    Pros: lightweight, can maneuver alone. easy install & 95% plug & play wiring. down pressure.

Cons: short blade height, rubber trip springs....when the blade digs in on an unpaved, ungraded drive...it nearly stops the truck...ive learned to go very slow & keep the blade up off the ground. frame/push plates hang low....fyi, my suspension is old & worn. I'll update in a couple of weeks after I install new coilovers.

Also, here in the capital district...they are 2 blizzard plows for 05+ Tacomas on craigslist...one new, installed but never used $32xx & another for $24xx i think.

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/3260094893.html

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/3279047317.html

note: no affiliation with these ads.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  11. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

where did you find the stall mat & how did you trim it & install it on the poly blade?? thanx...I've been looking into something for this exact purpose!

what kind of improvements did the aftermarket motor make for your homesteader??

12. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

The original motor and the first OEM replacement both had so many openings in the motor shell that after each use, moisture would freeze the shaft as soon as it cooled. I had to rap the motor with a hammer several times to break the shaft free.

Aftermarket motors I purchased on ebay for less than half the cost of the Fisher part have not had issues like this.

[/QUOTE]

13. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

I bought a stall mat for $35.00 at Tractor Supply and cut an 8" strip lengthwise. I clamped it to the top of the blade, drilled around a dozen holes along the top and used stainless steel bolts and fender washers to mount it to the top.

Works like a charm!!

I'll post some pics this weekend.

14. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Cool, I'll look into that & looking forward to some pics!!

15. tick925

tick925 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I took a look at the Sno Way 22 series today and was impressed. I haven't seen a Homesteader, but from the pics the Sno Way looks like better construction and has plow shoes which the Fisher doesn't. I'm getting prices of around $3900 for the Fisher and $4700 for the Sno Way. Have to decide if the extra $$ is worth it.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I assume the Down Pressure, wireless control, and the free 4-sight system are included. All feature you will not get with a Fisher. Plus there is the EIS light system with no consumable parts, 200 amp fuse for truck protection, monarch hydraulics and real springs.

17. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Here's a pic of my Homesteader with the stall-mat modification:

modified homesteader.jpg

18. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

When I bought my Homesteader, shoes were an option but the dealer talked me out of them. He was right.

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

6'8" is too short for a Tacoma. You need a 7'. Its NOT a small truck and can easily handle well over 400 pounds. I've got about 500 on mine, no need for wacky bump stops, the stock suspension holds it up just fine.