1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow For A Ram 1500?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowmover, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Snowmover

Snowmover Junior Member
    from Mass

Hey guys. Im buying a new truck. A 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 and I want to put a plow on it. Any suggestions would be great.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any 7.5 ft or 8 ft blade will work fine on the front of that truck.Adding a set of Timbrens will help too.That truck has a solid front axle,so it will carry the weight well.Make sure you have a trans cooler,or add a bigger one.

Check out some of the local plow places in your area to see who has the best selection of parts,and who will be open when you need them.Pick a brand of plow that they can service for you.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

A friend of mine has a 1999 dodge ram 1500 ext cab short bed. He runs a 7.5 sno-way snowplow on it and it works great.:)

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

You can put a 7.5 meyers western or fisher i wouldnt buy a snow way plow i think there junk

5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I wouldn't put a plow on a Ram, I think they're junk.:rolleyes:

6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

i'd go with a 8' boss, western or fisher. just depends which one you can get good service in your area with.

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Snowmover where in Mass are you? What plow to get may have more to do with what dealers are near to you and their level of service. Wyldman is correct 7.5 is the smallest you should have.

8. PLOWMAN45

rodger dodger you own a ram :redbounce

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Snoways are not junk.I have 4,and all have served me well.I would not hesitate to buy another.Alan has a few too,and I beleive he's quite happy with them as well,

Do a search on Snoway for more information about them.

10. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

I have a 2001 dodge 1500 and I run a Blizzard 760 ld it is so easy to put on and off. The plow works really great.

11. PLOWMAN45

wyldman people say meyers are junk i think not the have been in business for 75 years and they were around before curtis,snowway and some of the others im tired of getting flack for the meyers plow

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

I agree,Meyers takes a lot of bashing.Some of it is deserved,as they can be quite problematic at times.As long as you take care of them,and know what goes wrong with them,they are fine.

I just didn't think the Snoways deserved to be called junk.Have you used one ?

13. PLOWMAN45

i seen one on a demo going for like 3900 with down pressure if im gonna spend that much i will take a fisher anyday

14. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

Hey Whoa!! What's going on here? Nobody was bashing Meyers here- in fact nobody was bashing anything until you came in on the third post saying

"You can put a 7.5 meyers western or fisher i wouldnt buy a snow way plow i think there junk"

If anyone wash bashing it was then. Roger Dodger was kinda kidding you when he posted that he wouldn't plow with a dodge because they were junk, even though he drives one as per his tag line. I know I'm not a moderator, but I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we are here to help each other and provide what knowledge we can to the other members.

On that note I will say that I have known several people who have run the snoways with excellent luck.

Personally I like Diamond or Fisher( I own one of each) but will be looking for other options in the future for my new truck. In fact I'm hoping that there will be a Blizzard dealer my way soon so that I can look real close at them- I really like the way they look, and they have a good reputation so far on this site.

Just my $.02

Bill

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

They can be had for less than that.The DP system is great.They are a little lighter than most plows too,so they are a little easier on the truck.Don't knock it till ya try it.

16. WOOFSPLOW

WOOFSPLOW Member

Get an 8' plow and put it on a FORD:D

17. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

Had a 2001 Ram 1500, put a Fisher ld 7.5 on it. A couple of trannys later, I bought a real truck. Hope you have better luck than I had with that hunk of reckage.:angry: :gunsfiring: :realmad:

I wouldn't put a plow on a Ram, I think they're junk

I'll agree with that one.

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

420,000 Km of hard use in my Dodge,never lost a trans.Same goes for all my Dodges.

They do fail,like any others,no better,no worse.Maintenance and driving habits have a lot to do with it too.

19. NYRookie

NYRookie Member

Wyldman, I know very few people who have owned a Dodge and not put a tranny or some major part in it. The only exception would be a guy with a cummins and he does not plow or tow. I use my GMC every day and it has far exceeded the Dodge in every aspect. I am glad that you have good luck with them, but in my book, way too many people I know have had problems with them.:waving:

20. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

??????????????????????

cardoctor