1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for a new F550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2004F550, Nov 15, 2003.

1. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Ok here it is. I have on order a 2004 F550 XLT w/ the 6.0 PSD and the 5 speed Torq Shift automatic. The truck is going to have a 9' Crysteel Stainless Steel Tipper Dump body installed on it. This truck is going to replace a 1986 3500 Chevy dump that is badly rotted and in need of replacement.
    I have a 3 3-4yd HIWAY stainless steel V box sanders sitting in my yard right now to go between two sander worthy trucks, so I won't be buying a new sander. My question lies with the plow. I know I want a fisher because thats what everyone runs in my area (NW Connecticut) and I can't decide on the model. The truck will plow some commerical, but some roads too, about a 50/50 split. I have narrowed it down to the X blade 9' or the Municapal/Commerical 9' or 10' models. I have looked at the two 9' models and I like parts on both of them. The MC series is built stronger, bigger cylinders, more supports, etc., but it is also heavier which might be a reason to get the X Blade. Also the MC still has the minute mount 1 set up which I can't say has impressed me too much, I also hear that the MC series moves much slower because of the incresed cylinder size and extra weight (according to my dealer 12 seconds from far left angle to far right angle). The X blade is lighter, has minute mount 2 which I hear has been an improvement, completes the stainless steel look, and has a greater attack angler for scraping, and it will also react faster then the MC series. But, will the stainless steel skin puncture? Will the 550 tear the X blade apart? I was also wondering if the 10' MC would be too much for this truck?, but others like Pelican stated that he would like a 10' plow. I am sold on the Fisher since my father has had them for 25 years with very few problems and parts are avaiable everywhere. We have one MM1 right now on a 1998 Chevy C/K3500, and 6 other all hydralic fisher plows. The MM1 is nothing but problems to mount usually, even with the cylinder retracted, etc, etc.

Other questions, which model will "throw the snow" more efficently and farther? Would you recomend central hydralics? My dealer did say the central hyd. are usually spec'd with MC plows because they move the plow faster.

So there it is my dilema, X Blade,fast and light, and good looking, perhaps not as rusty, but lighter duty. Or the MC, stronger, more expenive by about $700, and slower, more painting,but heavier duty.
    Any advice on this would be great, I can't decide between the two models, and if the MC what length? Plowing would be split between roads and commerical lots.

thanks for the help.
    John:drinkup: :help:
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Seriously skip the fisher and get a blizzard 8611, fishers are not what they used to be

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Go definately with the BLIZZARD 8611.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I plow roards com pkg lots and driveways large ones we use fisher, com meyers i dont like the look of the blizzard i know fisher and meyers are reliable :gunsfiring:
  6. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

If you stick with Fisher, I would go with the 9' x-blade. The skin will hold up fine. The lighter weight and speed will be worth it. A 10' blade would be great in light to moderate snofalls, but might be a liability in a 24" or heavy wet storm. If you have a Blizzard dealer near you, you might want to take a look at the 8611. The blizzard would be great in lots.
  7. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I am leaning towards the X blade.
  8. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

2004F550, as others have said I'd take a hard look at the Blizzard 8611 me thinks gonna be hard to beat with that rig setup. I know your from Fisher country and I do like their plows alot , if you do go with the Fisher, the 9 ft X Bade would be my pick looks like an outstanding plow. Also how about posting some pics of your trucks and equip most of us would love to see. When is that F 550 due to be delivered?

Bob :D :D :drinkup: :drinkup:
  9. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

The truck is going to be built around the middle of december. It will arrive at my dealership around Christmas or a little after. My body from Crysteel, the Stainless Steel Tipper, should arrive around the first week of January at the truck builders. So I am hoping to have the truck in my yard by the middle of January. That is saying that the truck and body arrive on time and the body is put on ASAP.
    I'll make sure I post some pics when it arrives, it is going to be a awesome sight to see. Stainless Steel body and V box, and most likely a stainless steel X Blade, it will be cool. The truck is also gonna have Aluminum Alloy wheels which will be cool.

Pray for SNOW!! :D

10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I am about to order a new f-550 and im definally going with another blizzard.
  11. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Absolutely go with the blizzard 8611. Its a great combo for that truck. Dealer in Wallingford has some left. Larese enterpries
  12. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i would definatly go with a blizzard i have the 760LD thought but the 8611 would work great on the F-550.
  13. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Either blade would be a great choice for this vehicle. It all depends on preference. The MC blade is obviously a very heavy duty type of plow. On the other hand the X-blade was designed for both commercial and residential. This is not a light duty plow. It will cast snow just as well if not better than any other brand out there. With the 10" overhang it plows roads quite well. The skin will hold up just as well as any other types of moldboards as far as puncture resistance is concerned.

BTW - Fisher is everything we used to be and more. There are just some who did not like the answers to some of their post. And the other is a blizzard dealers so he is bias.
  14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Do you guys have a BOSS plow dealer in your area ?? If not I know where Im going to open a new shop at :D Blizzard plows honestly dont even compare to the high quality of a BOSS plow. If you can get one it is well worth it.
  15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

well i would go with the fisher mc 10ft plow. i have heard 9ft is just to small on f-550 trucks. also i like the x-blade but i really dont think 9ft is big enough. also the heavyier plow will scrape better.:)

Simmons to whom are you referring? Me? I'm a painting contractor and I don't sell plows.

Be careful that famous Fisher arrogance is showing.
  17. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

JD PLOWER, I think that he was referring to "Jon Geer", under his post it states that he is a Blizzard Dealer.:)

I hate shotguns

If anyone has a problem with any members post then he should name that member and his or her post, thats my point.
  19. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Simmons156, is it true that the MC series plow takes about 12 seconds to go from full angle right to full angle left? Would central hydralics actually speed it up or was the truck builder trieing to get me to spend more money?

Thanks for the help

20. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Yes using central hyd. would make the system faster as you could control the psi and flow.

JD plower my beef is not arrogance it is this gentleman had his mind made up as what he wanted then some of you pipe in and tell him to buy a blizzard. his question was not what plow should i get but which of these two plows should i choose.