1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for a 93 chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truck1500, Aug 6, 2003.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i was wondering what would be a good plow to get for a 93 2500 chevy. i thought about a western or a boss kinda thought about getting the v-blade wasent sure western made a v blade think they do though. i will be doing mainly residential this year i have one apartment that is only a 4 unit. just wonted to see what you guys think would work best.
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Western and Boss do make V plows. For your truck, I would say a 8' straight plow would be suitable. V plow would be nice, but I am not in big favor of them. I feel that V plows out there still have some weak spots. Do you really need V plow? You mentioned that you have a small 4 units apartment. So I think a straight blade would not be a problem. Good luck.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The V-blade may be better suited to the apartments if you have to carry a lot of snow to where you have to pile it,such as laneways.Fisher,Boss,Western,that are all pretty good.Just go with something you can find a good dealer for in your area.

With any plow,especially the heavy V-blades,you'll want to look at a set of Timbrens to help the front end,and run the correct amount of ballast in the rear.A crank or two on the torsion bars wouldn't hurt with the V either.
  4. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Western and Boss are both very reliable plows. If your budget allows go for the v-plow otherwise get an 8 foot straight blade. I have the 7.5 on my 93 and wish i had more blade.
  5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yes do check out the Western and Boss websites. Lots of helpful information on both sites. If you decide to go the straight blade route ask yourself whether you want a full trip or trip edge plow. Boss manufactures both full and trip edge plows whereas Western builds just full trip plows. Also I would recomend checking out Fisher and see which of the three best suits your needs. All of their websites are very helpful as well as the search button right here on plowsite.

Good Luck

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Go for a 8.5 fisher v plow. I hear that fisher makes a great v plow and a v plow is great. If you go with a straight plow than get a 8ft fisher, western, Boss, or sno-way. they all make a great plow.:)
  7. wxmn6

meyer22288 - what make you think that Fisher V plow is great? I know, I agree that Fisher is one of the best, but a V plow itself? Have you ever experienced one? No. Heck, you never own a Fisher plow either. Plowsite rule said that your post is worthless if you never used or experienced a specific product. You would be better off leaving threads alone.

Now to get back on topic, truck1500 - I checked the Fisher website for your specific vehicle, and because of the lighter GFWR on your truck than the current model year trucks, your truck cannot handle the weight of V plows. Heck, I am positive that Western and Boss V plow are not recommended for your truck either. The maximim blade size that Fisher recommed for your truck would be Fisher 8' HD plow. That is if your vehicle is K2500 heavy duty (8600 GVWR). If your truck is K2500 light duty (7200 GVWR), the only plow recommended would be 7.5' Regular Duty plow.
  8. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

8 ft Western straight. Allied is cheaper but Hoekstra is more friendly. Make some money and throw a $250.00 set of pro-wings on later
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Truck...... If you didn't want to go for the expense of a V plow.
    The straight blade makes sense !

I have had 2 western set ups. My last one went for 10 hard NY winters. This new ultra- has been great and troublefree for my
    I did put on a set of Turkey Wings and have been pleased with them also

Good luck..............geo
  10. truck1500

truck1500 Member

thanks guys for your help with the plows i will so some research and ill let you know what i went with. thanks
  11. Bossfan

Bossfan Member
    from Kansas

I really like the Boss plow myself. I haven't had any problems with mine. Easy to use and hook up. I consider it the best plow on the market. :drinkup:
  12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I hope this 2500 you are referring to is 4wd atleast. If its 2wd, dont bother. I remember some old posts of yours where you were asking us if you could plow with a 2wd truck and everyone, or almost everyone was telling you not to, but you wouldnt accept that as an answer. Is this 2500 Chevy 4wd? I like Western and Fisher plows myself. The decision to get a straight or V plow is totally up to you, only you know where and how you will be using this plow. I use a straight plow but I think V plows are getting more popular and definitely can save time. Mike
  13. wxmn6

Yep, Mike is correct. If that truck has 2WD, just forget it. Also, like I said, your truck cannot handle the weight of V plow, so this option is eliminated. Depending on your truck front suspension, you either could only mount a light straight blade, or a heavy duty straight blade but no bigger than 8'.
  14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Steve, you may be correct that his truck, even if 4wd cannot handle the weight of a V plow, but he can turn up the torsion bars a bit or just order himself a set of Timbrens from our good friend John. ;) I probably wouldnt put a V plow on it either because of the weight, but I think with a little help from the torsion bars and a set of Timbrens, it may be doable, IF the truck is 4wd and is the heavier duty 2500 model from that year. Mike
  15. truck1500

truck1500 Member

yeh my truck is 4wd i thought about just using my other one to do salt spreading. i think that the 2500 is a light duty one wish it was a heavy duty.
  16. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

truck1500..... Do you have 8 lug or 6 lug rims on that truck? I have the 8 lug making the truck 8600 GVWR and if I am correct the 6 lug are 7200 GVWR.
  17. truck1500

truck1500 Member

my truck has the 6lug rims on it.