1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for a 1999 f150

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ryan T, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Ryan T

Ryan T Junior Member

New to the forum, hope I'm posting this in the right place

I just bought a new silverado to replace my daily driver of 10 years, a '99 f150 4x4 extended cab 5.4

the ford had around 165k and is basically worth more to me then to sell, I've decided to keep it and drive it threw the salty months to keep wear and salt off my new truck, truck is old and tired in a way but has been mechanically kept up, just the in last year its seen a new gas tank, rebuild rear end, rebuild transfer case, ball joints and all new brake/tranny lines this week. I figure if I'm going to have an old truck to drive threw the crap weather I mine as well put a plow on it, as of right now I really don't need one or intend on doing any kind of commercial plowing for obvious reasons, this would only see a few driveways a storm, that being said I'm not looking for the cheapest set up possible either. I'm well aware that its not the best truck for plowing snow and I'm familiar with cars/trucks I'm a body man by trade just never messed with plows much.

their are two dealers close to me to install/service plows. one is a fisher the other is snow dog, my boss had a snow dog years ago and it was very problematic, but the dealer who serviced it was great and stood behind it every time.

I;m just starting to poke around the net looking for information of what size/brand I should be looking at.

anyone have any suggestions for me?
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ya might want to check into the cost of proper insurance for those "few driveways a storm" to see if it even covers the cost of a plow.
  3. Ryan T

Ryan T Junior Member

Thanks for your concern, I work in a body shop and have my appraisal license so I'm familiar with how insurance works. Does anyone have any input reguarding the truck/plow?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If Fisher is close by, try them first.
  5. Sawboy

Not sure how working in a body shop, and having an "appraisal license" segues into having, or knowing the cost of proper insurance for plowing, but I can see that you're spoiling for a fight. Lol. I'm not gonna bite.

Put any 7.5' plow made by one of the two dealers nearest you. Have a blessed day! :waving:
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure how that translate into commercial contractors insurance, but then again we all know how the insurance companies and body shops work.

7'6" Fisher.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^a 7.5 is not wide enough.
    If ya can't push a 8ft+ plow get a bigger truck.
    A " body shop" should be Abel to fine a 2500 or 35004x4 for cheep.
    what does the "shop" use for a tow truck?

A small plow like a 7.5 works great on a Jeep .

Yea and ask your " Ian agent about comershail ins,
    And mention the snow plowing business:waving:
  8. Ryan T

Ryan T Junior Member

You know this is why I generally don't bother posting on online forums. Before I posted here I searched the best I could, made an attempt to put it in the right section and tried to be clear about my intentions and give as much information as possiable. Yet i was still greeted with snide sarcastic answers. If most if you asked me a question reguarding the trade I work in everyday for my whole life I could easily be sarcastic and negative too but I wouldn't be. I can see the group of you get a kick out of someone unfamiliar with the business with big hopes and dreams and a 1500 truck being clueless, I'm not that guy. , I made it clear in the beginning what my intentions were for that reason and still got sarcasm.
    i see it daily I have people come in who are going to tell me this and that because they are on some forum related to whatever he vechicle they drive and they are the WORST types deal with, they know **** and think they know something, way worse then the humble guy who doesn't claim to be an expert.
    I should have known better, I'll find my way in the real world with people who I will face and don't sit behind s screen belittling others for entertainment.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  9. Sawboy

Let us know if you go with the Fisher or Snow Dogg :)
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You should know you can not control the answers or sarcasm you get on a public forum.
    you take what ya get, use the good and discard the rest.

OR you can bit-ch about free help.

and everyone who responded to your inquire HAS been in the BUSINESS for YEARS...

and wear your respirator......:waving:
  11. jonny72888

jonny72888 Member

7'6 plow should do the trick. Depending on whos driveways you do I wouldnt bother with insurance. These guys just get pissed when someone new starts plowing and doesnt have the overhead that they have.

Same thing happened to me. I asked if it would be worth dropping driveways and going to mostly lots. Nearly got my head taken off because Im not a landscaper.

Dont worry about it, get a plow and make some money. My first year I started with just friends and family and then the next years I was turning away driveways. My original plan was for the money I made to cover the costs of the plow and wear and tear on the truck so that I did my driveway for free. Ended up being better than expected. I think my prices are high, but I show up every time and do a nice job. People like that.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I would go fisher.
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^what a amateur.
    First off if he gets over 3" of snow even in the straight position a 7.5 will spill snow back under the wheels,
    (This is experince talking)

Then make turn and your driving in the berm.

Get a 8.5 plow for your full size truck .

Next ins.
    Sure as a businessman you see the need.
    One woops and your families life can take a drastic change.
    We are a lsue happy society.
    One slip fall can ruins your life.
    or be a low baller and plow for beer money.
    Rember no one likes a bottom feeder,
    And sooner or later you will pay for it.

Go light or stay on the porch.
    and with out a LLC like the guy above ab oily have your wide open to the lawyers.
    They will take your family's home.......
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015