1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for '93 W250?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Alec, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Alec

Alec Junior Member

Hi all,

I just bought a house (in a local snow-hole) and will be needing to plow next season. 100' of driveway there, and another 100' of tight driveway/parking at a three-family house I have. I don't want to add permanent weight to the truck, or lose clearance up front . . . And I don't want to spend much money.

The truck is a diesel 3/4 ton with an add-a-leaf on the front.

Any suggestions for what to get and where to find it?

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite alec, where in western MA?

As far as the truck goes, it will handel many plows. I would go with an 8' RD fisher or maybe a curtis or western. Todays plows do not add much perminent weight to the truck because everything comes off when youre not plowing. Iam not sure exactly how much the truckside mounts weigh but its not too much. As far as ground clearance goes my mount (curtis) takes away about 2" max of ground clearace. Curtis and western ultra mount give you optimal ground clearance in my opinion. Fishers mount is good to but you see them hanging very low on some of the older trucks. If ground clearance is important to you then you should stay away from boss, blizzard, meyer, and snoway as all their mounts are ugly and hang low, leaving them much more likely to be damaged or bottem out on bumbs. As far as price goes, new plows are by no stretch of the imagination cheap. A new plow will cost you around $3500 installed by a dealer, a little cheaper if you know how to install it yourself, but not much. You can find used plows around easily but its a pain in the ass trying to get everything to work. You can buy the plow but you most likely will have to get a new truckside mount for your truck that will work with the plow you get. Also your truck needs to be wired to run the plow. Which once again can cost you a little money if you have to have a dealer do it. If at all possible i would try to buy new and save yourself some trouble. That way you can be very specific in what you want and need for a plow (ground clearance a must). You also mentioned you will be plowing in tight areas, make sure your plow is not too big for where you are plowing. Chece out the western and fisher web sites (links at the top of this page). Also check out www.curtiscab.com and click on the picture of the truck with the plow.
    Good luck finding a plow:waving:
  3. Alec

Alec Junior Member

Thanks Chris. I'm pretty handy, so I don't plan on paying anyone to install anything. I just want something small and light and affordable . . . Looks like the affordable might be a stretch.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can buy plows you install ur self from central parts warehouse .com western fisher and meyers