1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for 1995 tahoe

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meyer22288, Aug 12, 2003.

1. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

What kind of plow do you guys think would work best for a 1995 Chevy Tahoe, 4x4, auto, 350 motor. The truck is 2 doors. How many of you guys plow with a truck like this? how does it handle plowing? We will install timbrens.:)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Why bother putting plow on Tahoe? I thought you said you want to go into excavigating business? Do you plan to pull 10,000# trailer with that? Have you taken in factor how easy it can to ruin the interior of such nice vehicle?

Also, I thought you said you plan on taking your uncle's '88 Chevy and fix it up and put plow on it? You also have talked many times about several other vehicles you want or plan to buy (or bid on eBay). Why are you even looking into buying vehicle? You even are not legal to drive. You won't turn 16 until February, but that does not mean you can get a license at that time. Due to NYS law, you cannot take a driving test until at least 6 months after you obtain a learner permit. So it would be until another year before you would be able to drive and own your own vehicle.

My advice to you is to stop looking into buying vehicle. You have told me at least 10 different vehicles that you saw and "think" of buying it. Now stop with this cra*. Don't ask us any more questions until it is time for you to get your own vehicle. When you are SERIOUSLY thinking about buying a specific vehicle, then you can post and ask us questions you may have.

You have been on Plowsite long enough to do a search by yourself. In some threads, when someone asked what plow they should get, you would reply and tell them which brand and size plow they should get. If you know that well, then you should be able to figure out the best plow for the vehicle you are looking at, by yourself.

I do not mean to harass you but you need to STOP AND THINK clearly about it. Like I told you earlier, sit back and learn more on Plowsite.

3. LawnSmith

LawnSmith Member

i have a 92 full size Blazer Sport, it looks identical to your tahoe except for the name. i have an 8ft Pathfinder TEII on mine and love it! the total package weighs 740lbs and the blazer handles it w/out a problem.
    i have done some "beefing" up to my blazer that helps out although i didnt do it w/ snowplowing in mind. i installed 3/4 ton torsion bars up front and new 3/4 leaf packs w/ 1.5" add-a-leaf out back. this raised the truck up about 3" total and enabled it to handle much more weight w/out ove taxing the suspension. i also added 285/75/16 tires(about a 33"x11") and 4.10 gears front and rear and built/rebuilt the 700r4 trans.
    w/ the plow up front and the rear seats folded down w/ 60 bags of salt in the back, the truck sits very level and runs great. i run the Trynex SnowEx spreader made for SUVs w/ a 350lb capacity although it always run about 425lbs in it w/out any problems.

i have used this truck for 3 years now for plowing and have put 192,000 miles on it total since bought new in '92.

all around they are great vehicles for big or small jobs and very easy to get around tight areas w/.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Damn Steve, you tore him a new one! He wont be sittin down anytime soon, hes too sore! I agree though with Steve. Meyer, you change your mind more often than I change my underwear, and thats twice a day. You gotta stop this foolishness. Like Steve said, you gotta just concentrate on getting your license for now. Whos Tahoe is this you are talking about? You were talking about a Jeep in the other thread, whos is that? You IMed me before on AOL and told me you guys might be getting a new Ford F550 also. Whats going on in that mind of yours? Anyway stop acting 15 even though you are. :D Mike

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Well first off the question is not for me it is for my uncle. He wants to get into plowing next year and he owns a jeep wrangler and a chevy tahoe. He asked me about what kind of plows would be best for them. I told him i new a couple of guys who would stear him in the right path. If you do not plan on giving me plow advise than dont bother posting to my question. I would like to thank lawnsmith for his help!

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Meyer22288, you failed to mention that it is your uncle's vehicle. You said nothing about him. So we based our opinion on what we think is the best for you. If it was someone's vehicle you are talking or asking questions about, you should have mentioned it so we would not based our opinion at you. It make a big difference.

Still, many time over IM, you would talk to me about buying or taking truck from someone, and also several times you showed me eBay auction of trucks you said you want to bid on. There are too many trucks you talked about for me to list. So, just stop looking at buying vehicle and concrete on getting your license (or learner permit first!). I never bother to look at buying my own vehicle until several months after I got my license.

Remember, I am just giving you an advice that I think would be the best for you. You don't have to do it, but I am just suggesting.

Again, like I said, there are several threads where you would reply and recommend a specific plow brand or size. If you know that well, then you should be able to figure out the plow size for that Tahoe. You also should know that you could check the manufacturer's website and look at their kit selection guide.

Without looking at the kit selection guide, I think that Fisher 7.5' RD plow would suit the best. Good luck with that Tahoe. I agree with you that you should install a set of Timbren.

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Well i enjoy looking at trucks. i have bid on a couple of trucks on ebay but lost. like all 15 year olds i cant wait to start driving and plowing. And next time i ask for some advise and you cant give it to me than dont bother posting. If you wanna say something to me than e-mail me. Thank you for saying a 7.5 fisher RD plow would work. Thats all you had to post in the first place.:rolleyes:

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Oh here we go, the guy who lied to us all along about his age is now telling us how and when to post. Hmm, I could be wrong, but I thought you were the newbie here, not us. I think you should respect people who have been here longer than you, and you should always respect your elders, thats how I was taught anyway. Mike :waving:

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I try to be "everyones friend" on this site. I chat with many of you quite often. I also agree that what Meyer did was wrong. It is over though, he came clean. Now it is the membership that answered this post in an unhelpful way that are acting like children. Meyer is right, if you do not want to be helpful then don't answer. The purpose of the site is not only to help the one who posted but those who ay also view. Plowsite looks like a childish bunch of whiners when someone sees a response like those prior. Some of you have been warned in PMs about your responses and how they violated Plowsite rules. Keep this in mind but also think about how you are making yourself, all proffessional people, look by responding the way that you do.

Everyone on this site deserves equal respect, if that cannot be done then do not post on this site because we will be editing them out.

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

CT, I guess you are right in a way. Mike

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not about being right at all. Trying to avoid the "two wrongs"

Yes he has to earn his respect. Give him a chance and don't lose the repect of the board. This is not aimed at you Mike, or anyone specific. It is also only my opinion. Remember, Professionalism.

I am getting off my soapbox now.

12. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I gotta chime in here for a second....

Forgetting Meyers' past and the atrocities he committed then, Everytime someone asks
    , he has a comment like

(Remember I said forget about his past so I took this from a thread where he wrote that TODAY !!!)
    Then has the nerve to tell wxmn6 (someone always willing to try and lend a hand)
    I think that means that pretty nearly every "I'd put an XXX on that truck" from Meyer up to now has been useless or worse giving other users info that he has absolutely no idea about... particularly because he has NEVER actually USED ANY of the equipment.

I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think that everyone willing to learn and share should be welcome. I know I have learned a lot here and I have no ill will toward anyone but it's starting to get ridiculous with all the kids playing on here giving bogus advice to other users whom may not know whom they're dealing with !!

... exiting soapbox....

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea that is true dont tell people to go with a plow you have no experience with.:realmad:

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Meyer...
    Don't plead your case to me by email.... I won't open it.

...sent to me by email...

I will make this one final point, then ignore you.

You post an opinion to EVERYONE on what type of plow they should put on their truck, so how come you don't know what kind to put on your own ? Or your uncle's or buddies or whomever ?

BYE !

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Rob, I got a similar PM from the meyer guy on here (PlowSite) just yesterday as a matter of fact. It seems meyer is becoming the laughing stock here on PlowSite, not from my doing. Mike :waving:

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had been following this thread myself, but with the power outage and being out of town a couple days, I wasn't able to comment.

I agree with CT's position that the early posts are over the line, these should have been handled off site or through the Moderators.

I also agree with the sentiment felt in those posts. Before we deduced that meyer wasn't as old as he said he was, we were discussing what to do about the high number of "useless" posts being made.

While there is nothing written in the Guidelines and Rules about this, it was clearly not the intent of the founder to have the site cluttered with trivial posts like "Awesome truck, buddy!", "That's the ultimate work truck", or my favorite, "I love that shade of blue!". It was the excessive number of posts like these among other things, that led us to believe meyer wasn't 20.

Many of us, including Chuck and myself, have tried to give hints that these posts are annoying, as we really can't prohibit them. It seems to be coming to a head and established members are putting themselves at risk out of their frustration. Again, there is no rule against these posts, so my advice is to ignore them. I tried to make this point in the "Don't lie about your age" thread.

I also agree with Rob's observation, that in meyer's stay here he's given countless words of purchasing advice to other members, so seeing a post of this nature is quite confusing. Meyer, I would suggest you apply the same advice you have given others since you joined to your question here.

Meyer, I also made a point to you in another post that you gain no knowledge by making these trivial comments. Knowledge is gained by absorbing information, not spouting off tidbits of gaff when you have nothing better to do. If you have a question, or come across an item or info you feel will be interesting to others, by all means post it, but otherwise it might be better to stay quiet.

There currently is no age requirement to be a member at Plowsite, and it offers young ambitious persons an excellent opportunity to ask questions and read material about a business they may wish to join; but if problems like these continue, it may require us to rethink the age requirement out of concerns of liability. As Chuck stated in another post, we have to be very careful in posting with minors.

Meyer, please go back an read the "Guidelines and Rules" so you have a better understanding of what Plowsite is about.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Pelican, very well written reply. I know my replies above may have been out of line, but when I read Steves reply, it seemed right on target and I just had to go on to agree with him so he knew it wasnt only him that felt that way. Anyway, this is a professional place to hang out and Id like for it to stay that way, although a little goofing off here and there is fun too. ;) Mike :waving:

18. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

It's funny

I came to this site in 2001 at the age of 16 I believe (moderator correct me if Im wrong) I had my plow truck for over a year by that time and was rebuilding it with my grandfather. Once it started coming together and I knew I would be plowing I joined the site. I never heard anything negative about my posts becasue I thought about what I was going to say (most of the time :rolleyes: ) and did searches after reading some of the guys yelling at others for not searching for their subject. I was always looking at new trucks and equipment for me and also for my father. I never really posted until something got serious. It seems Meyer just wants to post just so everyone will read it and talk about it. I have nothing against young guys without a truck or licence because I too was one of them.
    Meyer, all this harrasment could have been avoided by a simple search I found one in two seconds where the question you asked is already answered in full detail. Yukon (and hey look who put theyre opinion in...MEYER) meyer22288: "I think your truck should plow just fine. A western would be a great choice though i think the unimount frame might hang to low. But a ultramount would be a perfect chioce. Good luck!" HMMMMMM? I'm not trying to be mean or say go away Im just saying that they are right. You know these guys already are mad at you for lying about your age so if I were you I'd stay out of their way and hope they forgive you. I dont want them to kick young guys out of the boards cause if I couldn't go on here I wouldn't have the knowledge of plowing and the industry and I'm still learning, I'm only 18 and I dont say much and not saying much keeps me out of trouble.
    Thats my .02
    Eric
    (sorry about making my post so long just trying to get my point across.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Excellent addition, 90Plow!

I wasn't aware of the post you linked, kind of hammers the point home:nod: