1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for 1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by truck1500, Feb 11, 2003.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i have a 1999 1500 z71 and was wondering if anyone has put a v blade on one before.
  2. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

V-plow is definitely too heavy, I would not go more than a 7.5' plow or the front end will begin to groan and the vehicle will not stop too well.
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I second that.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

A v-plow would be too much for a half ton.7 1/2 or 8 ft straight blade max.A snoway would help in the weight department.A set of Timbrens wouldn't hurt either.
  5. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

why do you ask truck1500? don't you already have a 9'2" plow on it or is that on your 1 ton chevy ???

"you could put a 9' on that truck i got a 9'2" boss blade on mine you could still add the wings on it that would work fine." thread on plow size.

"i have a 2001 1 ton chevy commercial truck and was wondering what plow would work best on it I was thinking if a 10' v blade on it." thread on plow for a 1 ton.

or is it for your 2002 chevy 1500 silverado 2wd?
  6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I wouldn't put anything bigger then a 71/2 foot plow on that truck.
    However like bam has pointed out you seem to be always asking questions like this without giving us any answers. Just my observation.
  7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i was thinking the same thing.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In answer to your question - No, I doubt that anyone has put a V Plow on their 1999 1500 z71. Especially if it was 2wd. Not only would most brand of V plows be WAY too heavy for the front suspension, you would need about 1,000 pounds of ballast in the bed to give the rear wheels traction.
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I agree with Bam above and I dont think any of us should pay too much attention to this truck1500 guy. Just my oppinion and I could be wrong. Mike
  10. sk8boss

sk8boss Junior Member
    from PA

V PLOW ON A 1500!!! If you were gonna put anything on a 1500 it better be the lightest plow on the market, unless you only want the truck for a couple of seasons. On the other hand like the other guys said there isnt enough info to make a correct decision.
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

A V-plow would be way too heavy for your truck. I would say 7.5' would be the biggest you can go with. But you could go with Sno-Way plow a little bigger than 7.5' I saw one of Chevy 1500 yesterday with a Sno-Way plow on it. It looks like a 8' plow, but it is a lightweight plow.
  12. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

Boss makes a 7.5' V-plow which according to their website is rated to go on a 2001 and newer GM 1500 with snowplow prep package and it requires no ballast. It weighs 790lbs or 95lbs more than a Western Pro 7.5'. I'm only passing on what it says and I'm not saying I believe everything I read! You can check their website to see what it says about your 99 model. I considered installing this plow on one of our company 1500 trucks but the price was rather high.
  13. truck1500

truck1500 Member

thanks for the advise i have a 9' v on my on ton just thought about putting a v on the 1500 but i think that i am going to go with the 7.5' snoway.
  14. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

My first plow truck was a '93 F-150 4x4 with the Sno-way 7'6". I do mostly residential work, and it was actually a great truck for driveways. I never had a problem with the Sno-way, the Ford was another story....but looking back, the truck was used hard, with both plowing and landscape work. Wasn't worth much when I sold it last year. Oh well, live and learn. Good luck, Mike