1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for 1/2 ton - new to site

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by spartan1, Feb 7, 2008.

1. spartan1

spartan1 Junior Member

I am in the process of looking for a new truck and would like to do some plowing with it. I would be plowing my driveway(about 200 ft) and a small business parking lot. I am interested in the 08 Toyota Tundra, but have gotten mixed reviews on its plowing capabilities. Would the F150 be a better plow truck?

Does anyone have experience plowing with the new Tundra Crewmax? How has the truck performed?
    Can you recommend a suitable plow? I'd like to go a little heavier than the Boss Sport Duty.
    Would you recommend Snoway over Boss? Why?

Thanks for any help/advise.
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

down pressure and ford is the way to go ford makes a much better truck so id go with snoway on a ford or even the boss. i run a meyers 7'6'' on my 150 works nice but the front end could use to sit alittle higher.
  3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Welcome to the site:waving: If I were you I'd get a F250 with a Blizzard. Ok it is what I have so of coarse I am going to say that. But for real - If you get a 150 and in the future you want to do more you will be limited or beat the heck out of the 150. If you get the 250 you can pretty much do as much as you want and still have some left over. Resale is always good too. You can get a plow with wings or a vee. The plow - any plow - pick a color - they are all good. Go with the dealer closest to you. Buyussmileyflag
  4. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I'd say go for the Ford or a Chevy. The guys I know who plow never had complaints about them.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If your not going to expand your plowing get what you want and put a plow on it. One driveway and a small lot wont hurt anything. The cost of the 250 over the 150 will be more than any extra maintenance for putting a plow on the F150.

However; If you might do more plowing work, Keep the F150 and do maintenance on it.
  6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i would go with a snoway you have the dp and it is the quickest and easiest on and off
  7. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

before you buy the Tundra,get some estimates for the plow. This being a 'new' full size truck may cost you abit more than your Ford/Chevy/Dodge counterparts.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Ford is available with a much heavier front axle capacity. Check the size blades the web site fit guide allow on the trucks. there are much larger blades available for the Ford.

For small areas with lots of back dragging the Snoway is hard to beat. Snoway has commercial grade plows available for properly equipped F-150s.

Welcome to plow site:waving: