1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow for 07 Nissan Titan

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by dt5150, Dec 30, 2013.

1. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

hey guys. i'm getting tired of using my atv/plow and a snowblower for snow removal and am seriously considering putting a plow on my titan. i've been doing lots of reading and research on titans with plows on here and titantalk. seems as though everyone who has one on their truck, regardless of brand, has been happy with them so i can't seem to find the "obvious choice" if you will.

so far i've narrowed it down to these 3.. boss sport duty, snoway 26, and the western hts. reason being is dealer locations. boss and western dealers are 30 min away, snoway dealer is about an hour. same with fisher, but i haven't contacted any fisher dealers yet, and i don't know if i will.

i've got one price so far, on a boss, at $3579 installed. i'm waiting for call backs on the other 2 brands.

features wise, i'm still a little in the dark since i can't really see them all side by side to compare. one big thing i'm concerned with is the mounts. i would like to remove the mount in the off season for ground clearance. my truck has a front skid plate that would need to be removed, but that's ok as long as i can remove the plow mounts and reinstall the skid plate in the spring. and obviously, i would like something that is easy to hook up and remove when the snow starts flying. some first hand info on that would be great.

another thing is back dragging. my driveway will require a fair amount of it so effective back dragging ability is pretty important too. snoway has the down force which from what i understand works really well. i've read the boss plows don't back drag too well. haven't found anything about the western and back dragging. any input there from an hts owner?

controls are another thing. wired handheld or wireless? i'd prefer not to have plow stuff on my truck during the off season. not sure how dependable wireless controllers are either.

can i get some input from fellow titan/plow owners? thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the boss or the western.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

The Western will leave very little on your truck when the plow is not in use. Boss looks like ya gotta dang hitch on the front! Don't know about the SnoWay. If the Western HTS can be had with a back drag edge, I'd go that route. Even if it couldn't, I would still go with the Western because of dealer proximity.

As far as taking the whole mount off each season for skid plate? Not a chance. Too much work for no good reason IMO.

4. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

thanks for the feedback.

i did see that western has removable mounts which leave only the stuff bolted to the frame. i like that.. but i wouldn't be afraid to remove a few bolts and remove the frame mounted stuff. i do like having the skid plate under there, i go down some nasty roads/trails during deer season.

it looks like western has a downlock hydro feature for better back dragging.

i like the electronics and back drag features of the snoway. haven't found enough info on the snoway mount yet though.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If it were me I'd go Snoway 26" or 26 R. The other two you listed are VERY lightweight and just seem cheesy to me. And granted, the Snoway is relatively light as well, but I believe it a much more capable plow and you can't beat the down pressure for back dragging. The other two weigh around 400 lbs. give or take, and that's not conducive to back dragging at all. Just my opinion though. And if you're able to go with the 26R, that's a whole different plow with wings and will give you A LOT of options that the other two won't.

6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

My 375lb Meyer drive pro back blades very well. While they are all lightweight plows they all will hold up well aslong as you aren't out there plowing walmart and backwoods dirt roads. Go with what dealer is nicest, has the most parts, and is open most. That's the biggest thing you buy with a plow, dealer support

7. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

The HTS is basically a red Fisher HT. Unfortunately, they are nothing like a real Fisher. The HTS has been scaled down to save weight. It's still a decent light duty plow.

The Boss recommends only the 7' which is OK but not ideal. I think you'd be better off with a 7'6" plow.

As for wired controls, it unplugs so nothing to see in the cab during the off season.

Have you looked at Snowdogg? Any dealers in your area? If you can, check them out. I am very happy with mine.

8. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

well snoway is out.. $5255 with the downpressure option. ouch!

no snowdogg dealers anywhere close by.

so now it's down to western and boss. still waiting on a price for the western.

9. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

just watching some vids on the boss and western mounts.. i like the wester ultramount better i think.

10. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

well i might be limited to boss. just spoke with the local western dealer.. they're telling me that they won't install an hts on my truck because it's a crew cab, apparently western only recommends the hts for the king cab. they'll only install the suburbanite... no thanks.

11. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Well that's too bad on the HTS. Even Western's quick match lists both the KC and CC for HTS. There are numerous Titan CC with one, but if they wont install it then that's that.

Looks like you've narrowed it down to the Boss.

12. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

no, the quick match only show the suburbanite when you select crew cab.

i just went by the dealer to look at the boss sport duty. not real crazy about it honestly.. i prefer the western mount to the boss. i really don't want that big hunk of steel hangin under my front end all the time. and with boss, i'd have to have a separate switch installed in the cab for the lights (toggle between truck lights and plow lights).

now i'm toying with the idea of buying an hts and installing it myself. i'm pretty mechanically inclined.. anyone install their own?

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

If you've got any mechanical inclination you could probably do it relatively quickly. I think the most difficult part is the wiring to make sure you get it right. I'm telling you though, even at 5K for the snoway, it's a much heavier duty plow than the others that you're looking at, and probably worth it in the long run. How much cheaper is the HTS? I'm guessing not that much. And as someone mentioned above, the Snowdogg is a very good plow for the money. I love mine, but if you need dealer support it does kind of rule that one out.

14. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

yeah dealer support is big. western, boss and fisher all have dealers within 30 minutes. all the others are at least an hour.

one big thing with installing it myself is warranty. i don't know if they'd honor it since it wouldn't be installed by a dealer.

haven't got a price for an hts yet since the dealer won't install one. i called another dealer further away just to get a price, haven't heard back yet.

i'd love to get the snoway, but i can't justify that kinda money just to plow my own driveway. and the dealer is an hour away.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  15. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Strange, it list both for me. It also says you'd need about 440 lbs of ballast.

Anyway, I installed my plow by myself; it was nearly all just bolt on and plug and play. I had to drill one hole in the fire wall and splice into a 12v source. Pretty easy. I also have a better understanding how it's constructed and setup. If something went wrong I have a better chance on fixing it myself and not needing to go to a dealer for something minor.

16. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

are you sure you're selecting crew cab and not king? i've done it 4 or 5 times now with the same results.

good point about knowing your equipment. i did a custom plow install on my old cj7. had to do a bit of modding and fabbing to get it to fit since the jeep was lifted. but in the end, i knew every nut, bolt, and wire on that thing.

17. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

18. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

ah... i see. there's a difference.. the truck model. mine's an LE. i wonder why that would make any difference, it's the same truck, just better equipped!

19. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

20. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

Oh yes the sub model! Interesting... The SE and XE can take an HTS with 100 lbs of ballast difference between them. Remove the LE badge, tell them its an SE.