1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow for 05 f-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by simoncx, Dec 3, 2007.

1. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Just wondering what you guys suggest for a plow for a 05 f-350 diesel? I mostly do residental driveways. I was looking at a boss v-plow or a 8' straight blade, this will be my first plow so I'm looking for help.

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Atleast An 8 Footer Imo

3. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I looked at fisher hd 8' and the stainless x-blade 8', the dealer quoted me $4700 plus tax for the hd and $5400 plus tax for the x-blade both were with installation. I was wondering how the price is and what's involved in installing the plow. I was thinking of doing it myself because it would be about $400-500 cheaper.

4. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

v plow are nice just about anyting from big too small lots and driveways . if you have some hand tools a weekend and some mechanical skills you'll be just find installing one yourself

5. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

Thanks, I looked at v plows also but I think I'm going to go with a straight blade but I still haven't decided. I don't have a problem working on the truck, I do all the work on my truck and mowers. What do it I have to do, is it bascially mounting the frame and running the controler and wiring to the truck. I installed my dump insert in March and the dealer said they needed 3-4 hours and it took me and my dad about 2 hours. The thing that took the longest was running the cables in the frame so they would be safe and not rub anything.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What cab do you have on your truck? Regular, super, or crew? That will determine how much wheelbase you would need to cover on a turn. I'd say an 8' atleast. 8.5' would be a good width as well. Anything more might be a little heavy with the diesel up front.

7. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

It's a regular cab single rear wheel.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

An 8' should work fine. A 7.5' would be close, but would miss some on the turns. You probably could go up to a 9', but it's overkill IMO and extra weight. go for the 8' X Blade. That's a nice plow. Try installing it yourself to save you some money if money is tight. A lot of people say it's pretty easy. I've never done one personally.

9. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

well man look into there's alot fo great info and people on this board with every make and model plows out . it a big jump from straight too vee . but i was sold on vee after the forst big storm once i got my truck and hammer'd right thur deep stuff no problems any of my older trucks with straight blades . if planning on plowing long driveways that get either big difts and big piles from township and state trucks it worth it . the x-blade be my next choice my next plow will be a fisher

10. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

Save The Money
    Go With The 8 Ft Hd. I Have Had Both Hd And X Blades. The Hd Will Do Everything You Want It To Do. The X Is Nice And Is 2 Inches Higher But It Doesn't Make A Difference

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It is pretty simple to install the undercarriage and wiring. It take removing the bumper and it just bolts to the front of the frame and then you might have to drill 2 holes for the angle kickers.

12. Birdjr

Birdjr Junior Member

Those prices r kinda high on the fisher plows. Some places up here want 4300 installed for either fisher 8' or western 8' pro plus

13. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I've been calling around and that dealer is high, I got a quote on a 7'6" super duty boss plow for $3600 not installed and a 8'2" boss xt v-plow for $5000 if I remember right. I'm not really picky on the brand, I like the boss plows and a friend has a meyers that he really likes. I looked up the manual on how to install the boss plow and looked at a friend truck with a plow and it looks pretty easy. I'm going to go with a smaller 7'6" or 8' plow because most of the driveways I do are narrow and it might be a problem getting a bigger plow in them.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You may regret the 7 1/2' plow. Get the 8' blade. It will fit in any drive you plan on doing. If the space is tight just angle the blade.