1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow fluid

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by shanta74, Sep 25, 2007.

1. shanta74

shanta74 Member

i have a plow that is probely 10 or 15 years old. i am replacing the fluid and was wondering what fluid i should use ive been told dextron 3 or hydralic fluid witch is beter.

2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Fisher fluid is the best, but dextron is OK. If using dextron find synthetic or at least synthetic blend to get the best performance at low temps. Do NOT use regular hydraulic oil it could ruin your pump. Also try to flush as much of the old fluid out of the system i.e disconnect the hoses at the angle cylinders and move the plow back and forth to get the latent fluid out of the cylinders, Make sure you have something to catch the fluid in, so you don't spray fluid everywhere.

Bill

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Bill whats so bad about the Hydraulic fluid? We have been using it for years without any troubles. We use the type the All-Trac which can be used in transmissions as well.

4. shanta74

shanta74 Member

thanks for the help iam using cheap dextron 3 fluid right now i have a small leek in one of the hoses and am trying to find exactly were it is but i will probely go with a synthetic before winter.

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

There are lots of different hydraulic fluids, some for example are meant to be used in jacks and such, and don't have anti-foaming properties, anti icing, etc.so I just wanted to point out that a generic "hydraulic fluid" may hurt the pump. Fisher recommends their fluid or ATF (automatic transmission fluid) or aero hydraulic fluid in the older plows, and the EZ flow fluid or a hydraulic fluid meeting a mil spec in the new systems, again a hydraulic fluid meant for use in aircraft. You'll get the best performance out of your plow with a fluid meant to work at -40.

Bill

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Just don't use the new Fisher EZ-Flow fluid on underhood hydraulic applications. The flash point is such that it can cause an underhood fire if exposed to a hot engine manifold.