1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow fluid in a floor jack

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Thermos017, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

i'm hoping a hydraulic expert could chime in here. i'm considering putting meyer snow plow fluid in my jack to help with a freezing problem i've had lately. it's a 2 ton floor jack from napa (furious jack). does the meyer plow fluid sold at napa have the hydraulic ability needed to be used in a floor jack? or am i looking at my jack falling during one of those quick "oh, it'll only be a second, i don't need stands" moments. any imput here is greatly appreciated.
  2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Yup it'll work I've had it in mine for about 2 years.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

From a hydraulic theory perspective, any fluid would work - including water.

Of course, the water would freeze worse than the Napa hydraulic fluid.

The Meyer should be fine.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been using plow fluid in my pallet jacks, as well as my floor jacks for years now. Works great, and never had a problem with freeze ups.
  5. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Where do you store the jack when not being used. In the truck or in an outside tool box. if inside behind your seat i cant see it freezing in your cab you do run your heat right. It should never be that cold while using the jack that it would freeze.

Bob :nod: :nod:
  6. Thermos017

Thermos017 Member

actually my jack is stored under a car port in my driveway. if you've ever seen a furious jack you wouldn't confuse it with something you carry around behind your seat. it's a large, heavy floor jack that i use daily as a self employed mechanic. i put the plow fluid in it and all seems to be fine. beats the hell outta packin it inside to set over the heater vent everytime the temps drop below 20.
  7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

i put plow fluid in my jack all the time... works fine