1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow financials

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by musclecarboy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

plowing financials/income

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and plowing. I'm going to purchase an F-150/Ram 1500/Sierra 1500/Silverado 1500 this fall and would like to do some plowing. What are normal prices for whole season plowing or per-plow charges. (please base figures on a 2-car wide, 40-50 foot long driveway, basic residential).

Also, What's involved in gettin commercial accounts? I want to look into this for mowing but it could be good to get them for plowing.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

pricing has been discussed K of times on the site.

Use the search feature, try searching "driveway pricing" then start looking for threads originating in your geographic area, pricing is different dependent on location.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you don't already own a truck. I would really recommend looking at a F-250/2500. As a 3/4 ton handels plows much better than 1/2 tons.

4. musclecarboy

Yea? You think so? I'm lookin to get a used truck (2000-2002 ish). Is it worth the difference in price to step-up to the bigger truck?

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will be the best money you've ever spent.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good point Itsgottabegreen a valuable piece of advice:nod:

Anybodies 2500 HD will be worth the extra money

You can buy HD commercial equipment to mount on it.

You can carry enough material to sand a profitable amount of area with-out have to return to the supply.

You can tow a full size enclosed mower trailer with out major suspension upgrades.

Bigger brakes, heavier wheel bearings, larger axle tubes, stronger axles, lower rear ratios, stronger tires/rims, better cooling, a few of the benefits of a 2500 over a 1500.

7. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

not to mention the fact you will not need to spend the extra money to "upgrade" a .5 ton. my 04 silver 2500 has the tranny cooler, temp gauge, HD suspension, etc. lets put it this way the tires on my truck, BF Goodrich radial longtrails, are 60lbs in the front and 80lbs in the rear. not great for the ride but will be good for plowing.

also if you can afford a 1 ton or better yet a diesel do it!!! a friend of mine has a .75 ton chevy w/ a duramax gets about 13mpg with the plow, i'll get about 8mpg. also his truck is on a 1 ton chassis.

my .02 cents

8. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

sorry meant to say "no need to upgrade a .75 ton", not .5 ton.

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everyone who says get a 3/4 ton (F250 or 2500). You can get away with a 1/2 ton, to do drives but not really lots. For a little extra money go with the bigger truck. I have had a 1500 for a while. I did drives and small lots. I am going bigger this year and decided to get a F250. Post some pictures when you get the truck. Good luck

10. musclecarboy

I was also tihnking about gettin an Excursion 7.3L Diesel. Is this a 3/4 ton chassis?

11. Quality SR

You can go that way. But that is a long truck. That will push some serious snow though.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

buy what you can afford and what you need. if you go in debt twenty five k or thirty five k on a truck/plow or more you may find your self in some trouble.
    if you plow the drive with a half ton or a three quarter ton or a one ton, peterbuilt, used plow, new plow, vplow , straight plow, 1982, 2008, whatever you will still get the same amount of money for plowing the drive. just buy what is in your means and start slow. my advice. so your not on here trying to sell whatever you bought because you cant make the payments in five months. good equipment is great but if you dont have the accounts to pay for it......
    even if you do have the accounts the cost of the nice truck comes straight from your profits.

i imagine i could go spend fifty k on a truck tomorrow but i would have to ask myself the same question. why? fifty k is a lot of driveways to pay that tab. id rather put it down on some ocean front property. just my .02 cents.

13. musclecarboy

I'm not worried about payments. I have $22k saved from my landscaping business and that's what I'll be using for the truck & plow. My parents are also good for another $5k if needed. I'm some1 that worries about debt, even if things are good. I'm some1 that'll pay loans back before they're due just to feel good.

As for the truck, I think the excursion is a good fit for me because I'm doin mostly residentials. This vehicle will be my personal and business vehicle until I can pay cash for a work truck to replace it. Once it's replaced as a work vehicle, it'll soon be traded in for a luxury car for personal use (BMW, Benz, Audi, etc). Both replacements will be bought used, for cash to let some1 else take the hit for new vehicle depreciation. You'll never see me in a brand new car till I'm a millionaire (still 6 or 7 years off;)).

14. Quality SR

That sounds good. I am just telling you i think that truck is too long for driveways. I think you might kick your self. That is good for lots. I know some guys on here have them, but i dont know

15. musclecarboy

How much longer is it than a pick up? I would be buying a crew or ext cab truck if I wasn't buying this, need the people capacity.

16. bribrius

excursion and your a landscaper? you must have a trailer, and five kids you need seats for. :rolleyes:

nice to see your smart with money and responsible with your finances. id say that makes you ahead of 99.9 percent of the world. :nod:

you could just buy a older used three quarter ton short box with power windows, doorlocks, airconditioning, seats, leather, etc. etc. and put a used plow on it. one vehicle to maintain, register, insure, (no luxury car but you will live i had to talk myself out of a porsche couple months back) trade in whatever you have now for it pay the balance with cash, put whats left in a cd or mutual fund and tell your parents that your so good with money you dont need their help.

17. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

ok Your already in the mind set of that I am going to get rich doing landscaping. Stop while your ahead. Trust me been there and done that. The bigger you get the more it costs to do business. Just buy the pickup truck. Who is going to care what you are drive in 5 years. In 5 years that pickup truck will keep making you more and more money. The excursion would be nice if you had a wife and kids. But it sounds like you need a work truck. So buy one.

18. Quality SR

I know that truck has 4 doors right? I don't know is it is as long as a 4 door pick up with a
    6' or 8' bed. I don't know look at the drives you will be doing. Is the street narrow? Is it a 1 car wide? Are you able to back out in to the road after back dragging make like a 3 point turn then back in to the drive way to push it out? I don't know, where i live that is impossible. With out hitting the cars parked in the street right across from the drive way your plowing. Go with a reg. cab 2500. Also i agree with itsgottobegreen.

19. bribrius

dude. by the pre-owned mercedes (all wheel drive)and bring it down the dealer and ask if they can put a plow on it for you and a trailer hitch. :gunsfiring:
    i think that is the only way you will be truly happy.
    then post pics for us. :nod:

20. musclecarboy

You guys got me all wrong. I'm 16 lol. I'm doing landscaping to make good money while I've got the energy. I've already got 2 office-type business in the works.

As for my landscaping company, I have a 6x12 equipment trailer that I bought for $500 from my uncle and a dump trailer in the works for next year.

I need the people capacity because I'm from a family with 5 kids and we've always needed a van. The van is being traded in spring for a '08 Jetta TDI Bluetec so my parents want the 7 passenger capacity available. I'll make BioDiesel next summer for farm equipment, thats why I'm leaning toward a diesel now.

Who knows, meybe a work truck won't be necessary because I'll sell the landscaping business off and have the other companies thriving.