1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow fell off...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jan 6, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Not mine... thank god.

The guy I was plowing with at work has a Western 7.5ft. Pro Plow. I'm not sure what he hit, or if it's just from years of abuse, but the mount on the truck broke. He had to drag it down to the shop in reverse and go buy a new mount. Never seen that before.

Also, salesman out on a testdrive in a BMW X5. Wanted to show the customers it's off-road capability. Ditched it! Luckily there was a Chevy around (Mine) to go pull it's $60,000 butt out!

Interesting day.

-Tim

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

SlimJim,
    Are you sure you didn't get that big snowblower and try to gobble that truck up :) but stopped when the blade came off!

;)

Just kidding, How have you been?

3. SlimJim Z71

Snowblower... I WISH! I'm doin okay now I think...

4. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

OH...I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS.....LOL

5. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Hmmmmmm...

Makes you want to add some stuff to your emergency kit, or make one if you don't already have one!!

Keep some cargo straps and a digging bar with you, never know when you'll need them!!

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Now thats a bad day....Just got the emergeny repair kit for my western....I did not see a spare truck mount in the box.

7. SlimJim Z71

I guess it did the same thing on Friday when he was plowing, but he was able to weld it. After yesterday, I think it's time to bury that old mount...

-Tim

8. Dusty

Dusty Member

Used to have a problem with the bolts comming loose on the Fisher mount. Had it welded solid and no more problems.

9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Plow broke

Also not mine...thank god! A customer brought this one into the welding shop where I work a couple of weeks back. Fairly new Western straight blade (7.5') with the pivot bolt hole torn out of the moldboard! Had to have hooked something going in reverse, we didn't see it happen, we just got to fix it. (Cut out a section of the bottom leg of the angle, fab up a replacement plate with the proper hole, vee everything out for a full penetration weld and sew it all back up.) Anyone seen or experienced anything like this before? First time I'd ever seen something like that!

1975 GMC C-35

10. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

75, same thing happened to us on or 8ft. proplow,same exact thing,i really beefed it up,won't ever happen <html><strong> again!!!

[Edited by finnegan on 02-05-2001 at 08:43 PM]

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for replying to my post so quickly - I noticed that the blade we repaired looked a little skimpy to begin with at the pivot bolt hole (not a lot of "meat" on the back side of the bolt hole), I was wondering if this was a design flaw or is it a built in failure point in the event of catching something while reversing?

1975 GMC C-35

12. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

75, not sure if it was meant to break like that, i knocked out that tab inside the sector and added a3/4 inch steel plate,really beefed it up.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

We see that on the western's all the time.The centre pivot area on the a-frame always wears out,as it is only about 3/4" thick around the pivot bolt.We add a carbide plate,to the piece of bottom angle,and add a third plate,that goes above the bushing along with a longer bolt.Most of the wear is probably due to the fact that we take a nine foot pro plow and make it an 11 feet wide with removable extensions.Probably just to much for the factory pivot set-up.

14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Well it happened tonight.Our 10' Boss V fell right off the truck!:eek: It has the smart hitch and somehow the pins fell out and off fell the plow.
    Oh well,hopefully we can fix it tomorrow.
    Thank God for spare trucks!
    Stay tuned for more adventures of Plowing!!!

15. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

SlimJim71 - Tim:
    Who pulled you out a FORD?

:cool:
    Just kidding.

Glad to hear your feeling better.
    Rick

16. SlimJim Z71

Actually, I was smart enough to stay on the pavement. Everyone knows there's ditches that run along the road, and once they fill up with snow, YOU'RE GONNA SINK!

-Tim

17. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 Member

Mike,
    I had something similar happen to my 9'2 vee when it was new. My old style hitch has the pull bar to lock the mount on. The boys that put the plow together put a pto stlye pin in there. Bail came unhooked pin fell out, lever unhooks itself, I back up of the pile plow stays in the pile. I spend 45 mins wrestling a new vee out of the pile and getting it hooked back up.
    Next storm same damn thing happens, now I'm pissed. Wrestle it back on again, only now the wire harness is shot from being yanked to many times,plow wont go up. luckily I'm only 1/2 mile from the dealer, I plow my way back and have a "discussion " about the installation of my new plow.
    It turn out "the boys" did not use lock nuts on the handle mech and the bolts fell out letting the blade unlock again. The owner personally checked every nut, bolt, wire and hose on my plow and have never had a problem since. I know his was looking for some a** to chew on as I was going out the door. I love my BOSS V

18. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

:eek:Well finally got a chance to go out and look to see what happened to the plow.Come to find out the frame with the lights and hydraulic system stayed on the truck.It was the hinge pins that fell out.Only had cotter pins holding them in.No biggy could have been worse!:D

19. Jason_S

Jason_S Junior Member

20. SlimJim Z71

Jason_S

Not quite sure what you meant by your last post...

-Tim