1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow F-550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Skyhawk, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Junior Member

I have a Ford F-550 Dump Truck w/ Hydrolic System that i am looking to get a plow on. Does anyone know who makes the SNOWBUSTER plow for Monroe.. Im looking to get that plow for my truck but monroe wont have one available until april. Im looking for a Heavy Duty 9' poly plow with a Trip Edge. Anyone know of any other brands of plows that i could look at? Im looking for something built well for commercial use.
  2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher has a line called the MC series that is very heavy duty that is a good fit for the F-550 but it does not come in poly. Everest also make a 9ft. heavy duty blade that would work well on a 550 as well and it is available in poly. Here is a link to check out. http://www.wausau-everest.com/model.php?id=98
    I saw one on a truck(a 550) at a local dealership and thought it was a pretty decent set-up.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You need a bigger plow than 9'. Pelican has a 9' on his F-550 and widen it to a 10.5' plow. Personal I would go with blizzard 8611. 11' of blade. Which still isn't big enough.
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I agree we run 9ft fishers on our F350 pickups
  5. Big Dog D

Have you ever looked a the M/C series??????? There is no comparison between a 9ft HD and a 9ft M/C as far as strength. I own 4, F-550's and couldn't imagine them with something larger than the 9ft on them. For all around commercial use I think a 10 footer would be too difficult for use on a regular basis due to the width. Think about trying to clean between cars in a lot, narrow lanes and driveways etc......? Think about getting from place to place on narrow busy streets? They would be o.k. for BIG wide open areas, maybe..... personally,I'll be happy with the nines!
  6. Big Dog D

I looked into one of the Everest today for a truck I am specing out. The Everest setup is $6400 vs. the $5200 for the Fisher M/C. It looks to be a good rudgged unit. The head set stays on for the winter instead of being a minute mount type hitch. It looks to be built incredibly well and may be agood choice for you because you already have the central hyd. set up you wouldn't need a pump for it saving probably $1000+/- I would guess.
  7. EIB

EIB Senior Member

That is a good reason for the 8611. 8 foot six inches compact and eleven feet wide open. plus full blade width when windrowing.
  8. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Nothing like a M/C........Extremely beefy, no way any blizzard is that heavy duty, from what I have seen....MC 9' is the right plow for the truck, anymore than that and you will have problems getting the truck to turn well with the plow down...
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The 8611 is all that and more. The weight of the plows are about the same, but the A frane assembly on the 8611 is alot beefier, and the angle cyl are bigger. Not to knock the fisher at all, but dont sell the blizzard short.
  10. sam973

sam973 Member

I don't think I would say the 8611 is all that and more. Frankly the idea of moving wings on a 20,000+ pound truck sounds like asking for problems. Going down the road and hitting a curb with them is bound to happen. Even if you don't do roads there are always objects you are rubbing against in parking lots. I went with the Fisher MC for this reason. The one guy I talked to with a blizzard said the wing bent right around the first time he hit a curb going down the road( I actually met him at the welding shop). Fisher's MC is rated for trucks up to 33,000 pounds. That might sound like over kill but the weight adds up quick. My truck is 12,000 pounds empty+1200 for the plow+8-10,000 in the back for the spreader=close to 23,000 pounds! Have that weight moving 10-15 MPH down the road and your talking about some serious force when you tap a curb. A plow is only as strong as its weakest part(s). Just something else for you to think about... But then again I don't know what type of plowing you are going to be doing..
    But thats my 2 cents...
  11. sam973

sam973 Member

One more point to add. The Fisher MC also comes in 10 foot if you need something wider. I went with the 9 myself and find it to be plenty wide for lots and streets.
  12. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

The local blizzard dealer just gave my scrap metal collector buddy two blizzard blades that were bent up after the first use, the dealer himself even said they aren't braced well enough
  13. Boycea

Boycea Member
    from MA

Big Dog D, do you happen to have any pictures of the International dumps with the plows on them. I have a 1991 International Dump that has western hydraulics on it, but no blade, and was thinking of adding one for this season. How do you like them plowing?
  14. Big Dog D

I wasn't selling the Blizzard short. Think about your statement you are saying overall weight is comparable(haven't looked it up but will assume that you are rtight) of both units. You say that the A frame is beefier and that the angle cylinders are beefier, so you say 2 up for the Blizzard. Lets talk about blades now. You said that the Blizzard is beefier in the A-frame & angle cylinders so that means that it has to be less beefy in the blade area so that already puts it at a disadvantage. Now you need to add two additional cylinders to operate the wings, making it again lighter lb. for lb. in the steel ratio. Even when it is closed it has to be lighter and there fore less "beefy" now you want to take and open it up to 11 feet???:rolleyes: I am sorry the blizzard seems to be a good unit but I just don't see how there can be any comparison between the two. I also dont have much faith in those mechanical wings on a truck that is tipping the scales at about 22000 lbs with a plow and loaded sander on it and a plow to curb collision.
  15. Big Dog D

Here are a couple of them out plowing, don't have any of them just sitting geared up.