1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow extremely slow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RamDude01, Dec 21, 2008.

1. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Hi everyone... Another hopefully minor but annoying problem with one of my plows... '03 RT3 Boss superduty 8' straight blade on a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500. This plow is new to me this summer... checked everything over when I picked it up and all seemed okay.

It seems like when the plow is 'cold'... that it moves very, very slowly, up, down, left and right. After it is used for awhile (one or two lots sometimes, maybe more) it seems to 'speed' up some. I have checked the fluid, was a little low - added some, and adjusted the drop speed all the way to the max. Once it warms up and speeds up it is better but still is much slower than the '01 SD on my other truck.

I am thinking that this extremely slow speed is related to the light dimming problem I had (have) which I posted in another thread a few weeks back. When the plow warms up and speeds up that problem mostly goes away.

When the weather is a little warmer it seems not to be quite as much of an issue, but like last night and this morning with it below zero it was really slow for quite some time.

Any thoughts???

2. flanny0104

flanny0104 Junior Member
    from indiana

change hydro fluid

buddy of mine had this problem and we found out that he had water in his fluid that would freeze and slowly melt when in use. change fluid to correct problem

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Make sure you get the plow in a heated shop for a while before you change the fluid so the water drains out. Since water is heavier than hydraulic fluid, you will also need to disconnect the hoses from the angle rams and manually swing the blade both ways to squirt out all the fluid down there.

Hopefully you already know this, but don't do the boneheaded move of thinking ATF would be OK. ATF will make a cold plow work slow too. Spend the money on Boss fluid. It's worth it!

4. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Well, a little update. I took the plow over to the kids last night and parked it in the heated garage for a couple of hours... everything seems to be working as it should with it warm. Went out plowing today, granted it was a warmer day, but the plow seemed to work just fine. I'll have to see how it works once the weather gets really cold again... but as of today with weather in the teens and 20's everything is good... still planning on changing the fluid next week. The light dimming problem today was no worse than my other truck... so I think that it is all connected...

5. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Another interesting problem... after I thawed it out the other night, my revolving light keeps blowing fuses with the plow on the truck. I noticed the other day when I was out that my light was not working. Checked and found a popped fuse, replaced and within about 10 or so minutes it popped again. Repeated a few more times...

I dropped the plow last night and ran the light for a good half hour and works just fine - no blown fuse... I was running around this morning for about an hour with the light on the back seat and worked just fine - no blown fuse...

I think that all of my problems are related to the plow... the lights dimming, the slow movement, everything. This one kind of baffles me though. I guess I could kind of see if there was an extra draw on the system from the plow that it could maybe pop the fuse with the extra draw from the light.... but it baffles me why this would happen. At first I thought that it was the light and went out and bought a new one - same thing happened with the new one. With my other plow hooked up everything works just fine - gotta be the plow.

Any thoughts???

6. mason1

mason1 Junior Member
    from WI

The fuse your blowing is it the fuse in your truck that runs off the cigarette lighter? If so don't jamb the plug in so far into the lighter outlet, that can cause it to short. Had that problem with my 94' ram.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The slow movement is common on most plows as soon as the truck and plow warm up everything works a little faster.

8. Eliw

Eliw Member

Hears a thought. My plow is doing the same thing. It seems much slower this year. I have had intermittent problems with it raising and last night getting it to lower. My lights also dim (might be a dodge thing) so my thought is could all the screens and valves in the pump and hydraulic manifold be clogged? This would make the pump work harder and make the lights dim. And once the fluid warms up it would flow easer through the clogged screens. Would it be worth replacing all of these? Or is their one in particular that could be the problem? Is this a possibility?