1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow/Electrical/Alternator ????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amcolandscaping, Jan 17, 2005.

1. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

I just got a 1985 f350 4x4 with a western cable plow I am having a charging problem it seems. when i hit the controller my light would almost go out(not dim they would almost go out) so i went out and got a new battery and after plowing the 3rd driveway the same problem lights almost went out and i couldnt get the plow up, so i went out and bought a new alternator and external regulator and still having the same problem? any clues?

Matt

2. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

I do have 2 batteries in the truck, the second one is smaller and i am not sure exactly how that should be connected.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Do a couple of checks - see what the amp draw is on the plow motor when it's running (the plow). Second, if you can, measure the PSI on the hydro system - it should be around 3200-3800psi.
    I had the exact same problem a couple of years ago (with a western solenoid system though). I spent about $1000 chasing the problem - alternators, batteries, pump motors, etc....
    It ended up being a bad small o-ring in the pump valve body that was causing the hydro system to loose psi - causing the pump motor to strain/draw more-causing the electrical system to overload = dead battery.
    Also - water or ice in the system (especially the filter) can cause the exact same thing - check that too. Good luck. Post back.

4. amcolandscaping

amcolandscaping Member

I just found the problem after buying a new battery, new alternator, and regulator. There was a plug that had a broken prong inside the plug so there wasnt power going to the alternator at all times. I was almost going to go out and buy another alternator just higher output. I think i am plowing for free all the money i am making is going right back into the truck

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>" I think i am plowing for free all the money i am making is going right back into the truck"</i>

Sometime's that is just the way it is. After you replace enough stuff that basic preventive maintance and you will brag about how good she runs.

But like I said.

After enough parts are replaced.

Sell the ford. Get a GMC and brag all the time.