1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jwwieberg, Feb 11, 2005.

1. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

Would a 1/2" by 8" steel plate be to much on a meyer 7.5 st? I'm going to have a piece cut. A 8 inch wide would last longer than 6 inch.

2. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I put on a 3/4" x 8" x 8' cutting edge on a Fisher Plow this year and I have found that it is way to much. The weight of the blade alone causes by plow to trip much more than my old cutting edge. If I am correct it added another 50-70 pounds to my front end. I should have gone with the 1/2" x 6' x 8' as recommended by the manufacturer.

However, you should be okay since you are running a 1/4" thinner than mine. It will add some extra weight to the front end though.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

True cutting edges are made of tempered spring steel. If you can easily drill or cut the steel, it is too mild and will wear much quicker...

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Check your plow springs- you shouldn't have any issues from the blade weight tripping the springs- the issues is probabily the 8 inch edge instead of the 6 inch edge that the blade was designed for and/or the plow springs being in need of replacement OR the blade angle set wrong.
    I have no issues with my old Speedcast running an 8 inch 5/8 edge on my Chevy- and If my Dodge could stand the extre weight I would be running one on it too.

5. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut Junior Member

how much do these edges cost? I'm looking for the exact same thing that is on there now. I have a 8.5' Meyer. The edge has some wear and I may be looking to replace it next year.

6. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I just got one for my meyer last year, It was around 90.00. I found cheap plow parts at mills.com.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

1/2x6 x8' steel from my Fisher dealer is $91 after tax- bought the 5/8 x 8 x 8' from New England Broom for like $75.