1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow drops when driving

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by critter, Dec 17, 2005.

1. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

i just wanted to say thanks for all your help with my other problems my new one is when i lift the plow and drive around to plow peoples driveways i have to keep raising the plow because it drops like an inch or 2 sometimes i see a little hydro oil on the ground when i park for the night any suggestions thanks again

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

It sounds like you have a leak in the line or fittings to the lift cylinder.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Leaky hose or fitting.

4. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

hey guys i checked the lines and fittings and it still drops when the plow is up

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What kind of plow and how old?

6. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

i believe it is the snoway 25 its got down pressure its a 7 1/2 ft

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Oops, I should have realized it was a Snoway since it's in this forum. I just list "New Posts" and apparently missed looking to see where it is. Sorry, but can't help much with Snoway. I was going to suggest a leaking lift ram seal, but don't know if that would apply.

8. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Per a friend SnoWay Tech at a local dealer: Check for a "back pressure relief valve". I'm not sure where it is or if this is what your problem is, but he says it's fairly common.

9. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

Does Anybody Know Where The Back Pressure Valve Is Or Is There Another Adjustment On The Plow Like The Meyer Have

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You say it's leaking fluid do you have to refill the reservoir a lot? Does the plow cycle consently in the DP mode? If so you could have a lift ram leaking internally. The lift cylinder on a snoway w/DP is a double acting cylinder they will leak at the internal o-ring allowing the plow to drop particularly under driving impacts and when under power from the DP.
    Keep us Posted!

11. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

ya that seems right i contacted snoway about it and they said pretty much the same but they also said that the plow dropping a little while driving in normal??? i dont think so..but this just started doing it i can raise it up a little just from sitting at a red light.. but anyway whats the best way to fix it without buying another lift cylender. other than this problem the plow it great and i will let you know what the prob was when i get it fixed

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There is a rebuild kit for the lift ram, but it's a pain in the a@#. We don't rebuild for customers, the parts and labor are so close to the cost of a new one it doesn't make (dollars and) sense. The problem with continuing to use the old one is eventually it's not going to stay up at all. If the internal O-ring bulges you're SOL. You'll be throwing the travel lock on and headed for the shop. It's a lot easier and less stressful to change the ram when the sun is shining

13. critter

critter Junior Member
    from 01757

ok thanks for everything i will try that and let everyone know thanks again