1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drops very fast

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dave Meyers, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

I finished installing a used western plow on my Scout, replaced the burned out motor in the process. All works well, but the plow drops rather quickly when I hit "Down" on the joystick. It is difficult to slow it down by feathering the joystick, I have to let it drop, then feather it up if I don't want full down force. I've only had one plow before, but it didn't act this way. Is this abnormal, and is there an adjustment? Dave
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's an old style cable operated pump, there's an adjustment screw on the rear of the pump to adjust the drop speed. It'll be either an Allen head screw or a slotted screw. Either way it will have a large jamb nut on it to lock the screw down.

To adjust it, loosen the jamb nut and turn the screw counter clockwise (out) to slow the drop speed down. Go about a 1/4 turn at a time until you get it where you want it. Make sure to hold the adjustment screw while re tightening the jamb nut to prevent the screw from turning and affecting your new adjustment setting.

Here's the Western manual that covers all the adjustments for the cables pumps:Pump manual
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't loosen the jam nut to far or the o-ring will move an get pinched when you tighten the jam nut back up causing a leak
  4. Dave Meyers

Dave Meyers Member

Thanks guys, although I have not looked at the pump since posting, I remember seeing the adjustment you are talking about. Dave