1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drops slow and cant unhook chain

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Joe The Man, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Joe The Man

Joe The Man Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys I picked up a Fisher Electric plow setup MM1 I believe for my 88 k1500. Got it used and went through the whole thing, pulled pump out changed o ring, cleaned filter, new fluid, new wiring harness. And all the functions work up down side side but it drops slow, not like a sack of bricks like some others say. Then it drops so slow once it hits the ground the piston stops and doesn't give me enough slack to unhook the chain. Then ill add a few links for more slack, then the piston will stop whenever the blade touches. Anyway to make the piston to go all the way down easily?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

A few things, With someone holding the down lever on the controller (Is this a cable operated plow, or fully electric?) can you physically push the lift arm down fairly easy? If not, loosen the packing nut on the lift ram. How does the actual ram look when it's fully extended, is it pitted, or have any rings of dirt beat into it? Clean it up with some WD40, PB Blaster, Fluid Film using a green 3M scrub pad or similar. If it's worse off, it may need to be replaced. The quill might need to be adjusted if none of this works also. Simply back it out a quarter of a turn. MAKE SURE THE PLOW IS ON THE GROUND WHEN ADJUSTING THIS.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  3. Joe The Man

from CT

The piston is completly shiney and clean. And your referring to the big nut on top of were the lift piston comes out right? Try to loosen that a quater turn?

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

That you can loosen almost all the way, then re tighten it to just past snug. If the plow drops when you raise it, then you need to tighten it alittle more.

I'll get you a diagram for the quill adjustment.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Which one do you have? disregard the colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Joe The Man

from CT

Looks identical to the first picture

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Start with your packing nut, chances are that is the culprit. Also make sure your cable is adjusted properly, then contunue on to the valve adjustment from there.

9. Joe The Man

from CT

Sounds good I will go through these steps, I appreciate it.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

No problem and welcome to PS :waving: