1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drops on its own!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cbeaur, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cbeaur

cbeaur Junior Member
    from Mass

I have a MM2 8'. Plow started dropping on its own last night. Not slowly, drops as if u were lowering it to plow. Any ideas where to start?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

stuck valve

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

X2 on the valve. check fisher's website for your application. Your lift valve is sticking open and allowing the oil to flow back out of the ram, thus dropping the blade. I just went thru it

4. cbeaur

cbeaur Junior Member
    from Mass

Lift valve, meaning one of the 3 solenoid like cartridges in the plastic box? Or the entires lift piston?
    thanks!

5. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS Member

Probably a valve behind one of those cartridges. You can normally buy them separately at our local plow supply shop.

6. cbeaur

cbeaur Junior Member
    from Mass

Thanks. So those cartridges are the valves?

7. cbeaur

cbeaur Junior Member
    from Mass

Well, still drops on its own! Changed the valve "cartridge" S1 for the up and down feature. Flushed out pistons put new filter in and fresh oil. Sucker still drops maybe 4 out out of 10 ups. Someone has told me that if i changed the S1 and it still lowers i might have an internal leak valve? Any other ideas?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

try a different controler.

9. cbeaur

cbeaur Junior Member
    from Mass

thats my next step. any recommendations where to buy online?

10. no lead

i would find someone that has a similar plow and try theirs. any good plow dealer should let you try a new one before you randomly buy one.

11. no lead

i would find someone that has a similar plow and try theirs. any good plow dealer should let you try a new one before you randomly buy one. a western control is the same.

12. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Do you have a fish stick??? Last season my plow would drop suddenly when driving down the road, truck just sitting ect. It would only happen if the power was on. It finally got so bad it would drop and put itself into float on its own when backing up after a push. Took the stick apart several times with no fix. It was probably the circuit board, but for $100 extra I got the new style controller without the mode button and not only did it fix the problem, but it is a better all around set up.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Raise it up and disconnect the controller for a while while transporting. If it stops dropping you found the culprit.

Not uncommon for water/ice in the grill connector to cause it either.