1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drops down very slow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by HellaFlushJR, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HellaFlushJR

HellaFlushJR Junior Member

Hey everyone, I was just plowing tonight and all my controls worked fine until I got home. The plow raises up, moves left to right normally. But now it's starting to drop down slowly? I'm a little bit clueless here, so please help me out. It's now barely even going down. I have to wait 2-3mins for the plow to touch the ground? Help.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what kinda plow?????????
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Western....hehe ....sorry bud
  4. dieselss

thats ok,,,,,
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Still need a bit more detail than that, Western uni-mount, ultra-mount, straight blade or V? This is probably a valve / debree / hydraulic issue. Since it was working fine it will NOT be the quill valve. (that is a little adjusting screw that controls drop speed) but that won't move on it's own. I also doubt electrical as I have never seen valves open partially due to electrical. I suspect you have debree in the path responsible for dropping which is restricting fluid flow, blocking a cartraige or perhaps blocking the quill. On a long shot... it this related to real cold temperatures? If you changed yoru fluid and put something thick in there and then it got cold that could have an effect. It is important to use the blue fluid because it stays thin at a wide range of temperatures. Transmission fluid is NOT suitable because it gets thick when it is cold. Tranys actually get hot when you drive so it is not a problem there but your plow stays cold.

Tell us exactly what kind of Western plow it is and we can tell you what valves to look at. There are so many different configurations it is impossible to guide you without more detail.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  6. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

My brother has an issue with older uni mount, plow just starts dropping for no reason, cant go 3-4 blocks without plow dragging on the ground, other then that works fine. Suggestions?
  7. dieselss

Start yout own thread
  8. daman

daman Member

Could you have ice(water)in the system?? more info as stated above,fluid type last change etc,etc..