1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Dropping

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 540milotalon, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 540milotalon

540milotalon Junior Member

I have an older cable control plow (Isamaratic Mk IIIa) and am having problems. I read on here where to download a mechanics manual and did so. It appears that I need to adjust my lift valve. Problem is it's stuck and I have shot PB blaster on it for a couple of days, and no change. By adjusting the check valve I can make it not lift but when I ease that to the point where it lifts good it drops immediately after releasing the control. The ALLEN wrench wants to strip inside the socket head. Question: can I use a little heat on the casing to free up this nut? I probably will start by draining the hyd. oil. Will it ruin anything or break the housing? Any suggestions?
  2. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

This happens all the time. Someone saved $3 worth of anti-seize (on the threads) on the lift valve when installed. I've "dug out" a few of these by tack-welding the allen wrench inside the lift valve. Just enough to be able to turn it. You're out one allen wrench and one lift valve. Replace lift valve with new one and ANTI-SEIZE.

Here's the thing... when you heat the thing, you're heating aluminum casting, rubber seals, and steal bolts; all of which expand at different rates. NOT recommended. If you really need to try this, I would leave the fluid in (coolant, for the heating). This (I would think) would tend to even out the temp changes.

Oh, yeah, did I mention that I have put some of these in the vise and DRILLED out the lift valve ...
  3. 540milotalon

540milotalon Junior Member

Hey thanks for the response. I took it on Thur. to a shop and that is all they do. Myers, Western plows and spreaders. For the off season the change truck beds. The tech. drilled it out. Also he installed and adjustable cable on the lift. doing the trick. But thanks again.