1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Dropping while transporting-E88

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by JN16184, Feb 7, 2010.

1. JN16184

JN16184 Member

While I'm driving my blade sort of eases down a few inches, not one big drop. No big deal, just anoying. I have to keep lifting it every 5 minutes or so, to keep it from getting too low. I have topped off the fluid, so that's not low. Otherwise, the plow is in excellent condition and works fine.

Any one know why it does this and a way to fix it?

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

There's a seal on the bottom of the piston which is held on by a nut and an O ring at the base of the pump. Remove the top cap and pull the piston out. The seal that is on the end of the piston is directional.
  3. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Just tackled one of these myself yesterday. Same exact problem.

Cheapest and first fix is to get a seal kit and rebuild the packing cup on the lift ram and also replace all the O-rings in the ram cylinder and resevoir.

Next is to repair / replace the "A" valve which controls the lower and float function.
  4. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Thanks guys...from the sound of it, I'll just live with it until the season ends. I don't want to pull it down now. I'll have a local shop go through it.

We're supposed to have another storm coming in tomorrow. I can't afford any more down time after transmission issues 10 days ago and missing out on a 12" storm.
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

It will only get worse 10 fold. If ya have a big storm take care of this now before you loose alot of $. Unless you have a spare pump that is.
  6. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Well, it is getting a little worse, but that became irrelevant today...

The rear p/s angling ram bolt sheared today. The d@mn thing is in the specs to be a grade 8 and is only a grade 5 from the original install. It caused the hose to rip out of the ram, stripped both the hose and ram. No parts to be found in my area, due to the repeated storms. I'll have to order them tomorrow and get them next-day shipping. Even had to leave the truck; once you blow all of the fluid on an E-88, you can't even get it off of the truck.

Does anyone know a good parts house that stocks parts, won't hose you and will ship next day?
  7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Central parts warehouse will
  8. JN16184

JN16184 Member

Got it fixed, less than 1 day of down time. Had a new hose made and rethreaded the ram up one size. All new grade 8 bolts in both angling rams.
  9. JMill_PA

JMill_PA Junior Member

you could also pull the B valve and ensure the o-rings are healthy & the ball is in place
  10. JN16184

JN16184 Member

I got a seal and o-ring set. I'm going to wait for off-season, unless it craps out completely on me. Then I'll go through it......then it should be easy. If I try it when I need it, I'll never get it right:blush2:...

I picked up a non-OEM set from Angelo's, are these decent to use?
  11. Blaster Master

Blaster Master Junior Member

Just wondering why you never had the upgrade done on your E-88 ????
    I think if you go to a dealer they can still do this change under warranty...not sure but worth a try ...
  12. JN16184

JN16184 Member

With the so-called upgrade, you loose the feature where the blade goes up when you hit reverse/down for drive. I know it was a patent violation case they lost, I like this feature and didn't want to loose it.

What else do they do for the "upgrade"? I knoe that tey direct wire the controls.