1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow dropped while driving

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by kamhillbilly, Jan 19, 2008.

1. My 8'superduty dropped the other day when I hit a frost heave plow jumped up then hit the ground I had to scramble and turn on control to lift it .This has happened two times now .Any one had this happen?? Suggestions? I dont want this to happen again fortunatly there was no other cars around.It is on a 1990 Dodge cummins this truckrides like a lumber wagon.
    Thanks tymusic
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I always keep my control on & strapped to my leg w/ some velcro for this very reason. It's never happened yet (knock on wood), but I want to be prepared just in case. It sounds like an electrical problem though. Possibly the control going bad.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The controler was off?

Hand held or Joy stick?

What year is the plow? If you not sure, is it RT2 or 3?

If it's RT3 does it have Smart Hitch?
  4. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i've never had that happen, only dropped the plow on purpous before to get stopped and amazingly it worked lol goodluck i might second the control unit as a possible starting point?
  5. The plow is only 2 years old ,control was off ,it seems like the oil relief or some thing .It is a smart hitch with handheld control
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't recall ever having an RT3 drop uncontrollably...

If the control was off then it can't be an uncontrolled electrical command sent to the lower valve, so I'd rule out a defect in the controller as a possibility....

Has to be something related to the jarring though...possibly the internal return spring is weak in the lower valve and the hard jarring is creating enough force to force the spool off center.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I hate to jack this thread but mine is doing the samething. Only mine is lower about a inch every 10 miles or so. Noticed it today when I was on my way from Holland to Grand haven. The plow is brand new this fall. I am thinking it is a valve but I am not sure. Any help please.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No hijack needed Ryan LOL...

Only three possible things that can make it slowly leak down. All 3 are pretty uncommon...

1) Leaking piston seal in the lift cylinder
    2) Bad CV3 check valve in the manifold
    3) Or a leaking lower valve.

As far as pin pointing the cause..the piston seal isn't hard to test but the other two causes would need furture diagnosis to be repaired.

Sounds like a good candidate for a warranty repair..:)

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Oh definatly. As soon as it stops snowing. HAHA!
  10. Mine has only dropped when I hit a frost heave (bump) and the plow bounced up then down allthe way down,like maybe it overloaded the the relief ?Mine doesn't seem to leak down other wise .
  11. Is there an adjustment such as a relief valve? Thanks
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

My reply about the only issues that can cause a slow leak down was aimed at RG's symptoms kamhillbilly. Yours is a completely different issue and there isn't any kind of "relief" so to speak in the lower valve or circuit, so I'd still be akin to believe that in your case, the extreme "hit" from the rough conditions is due to it possibly pushing the spool open on the lower valve.
  13. Thanks guess I just better watch out for those bumps . Thanks again