1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drop, Normal ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hbrady, Dec 8, 2003.

1. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Dumb question… :blush2:

I had a 20 year old Fisher that would not stay up when driving around (would have to raise the controls every few miles). I chalked it up to old age and leaking hydraulics. Now I have a brand new Curtis electric hydraulic and I noticed it does not stay up either. I just drove 14 miles and it dropped and inch or two on me twice. Is this typical or should I call the dealer and have them look at it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

That is not normal..... I would take it back to the installer and have them check the bypass valve for a possible leak. That should hold for a very long time.
  3. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

OK, this is strange. I drove home and the plow stayed up tight, it didn't come down at all. I see that as good news BUT when I was inspecting the plow tonight I noticed something else. The center piston (to raise and lower plow) had oil on the outside of the case. Not just a little, it ran down frame too. Now, is that normal? (little bit of fluid working it's way out the top of that piston after 4-5 hours of plowing).

4. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

I'd bring it in and make them look at it... Be a PITA with them too and just don't accept, "they all do that - it's normal"...

I mean come on, my old OLD Fisher only leaks a little fluid because of a loose hose fitting... There's no leaks anywhere else on all three cylinders...
  5. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

No that's not normal either. Could be a loose packing nut.
  6. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

Thanks all. I'm sure if they give me any BS a call to Curtis that starts with " You ever hear of plowsite.com?" will help me get it resolved :nod: