1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow drivers beware of surroundings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fourbycb, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Not that it matters but were they even plowing?
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The way the district operates they may have been.

I feel for the victims family especially the kids.
  4. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

about 2 weeks ago now there was a plow accitent here in DE where a state tuck ran over a women that was walking along govner prince BLVD in wilimington DE the article was on
    very sad the women was walking along the road early in the am and the truck just came thought and didn't see her.

let me see if i can find the link to it

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i had to plow all night saturday sunday am, and you will not beleive the drunk kids walking at 3 am.

i was backing up and at the last second i see two tramps all dressed in mini skirts, i hit the brakes and i could of swore i was gonna blow a brake line, they never even flinched just kept on stumbling by in theyre heels even, i almost offered them a ride ,
  6. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

This is why i have a backup camera.. Saved me once... That paid for itself right there....
  7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Almost the same thing happened to me, 3am, but it was kids in dark clothes with sleds, No idea how I saw them in time...scary.
  8. Krumm

Krumm Member
    from CR, IA

Wow, can't believe I missed this on the news this morning.
  9. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That's most unfortunate and that driver will always be haunted by it. I just missed a girl by inches once, who was walking diagonal across a private lot to catch the school bus during a white out, I thought I ran over her toes...I wasn't right for a long time after that. Close calls happen constantly, usually in the early AM. I will never understand what so many people are thinking or just not, when they step out directly behind a truck backing up. It's dark out, it's snowing & high traffic. They see me coming and still do it ...I swear it's something in the water.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

the back up camera , i wouldn't trust to me seeing is beleiving, the drive was maybe my truck width and the snobanks are 6' tall, and they were in the oncoming lane,so i was goingslow enough but even still to see the yellow light and hear a noisy diesel they were stupid just to walkout like they had the right of way.

if they were looking for a nice insurance payout i would never walk behind the pos i drive,the whole fleet makes him look like he doesn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out,

it's time to instill upon your kids to choose wisely who they walk out in front of .ya know when ya sit down and tell them about the birds and bees,throw in it's ok to walk behind a mercedes, a pos dodge is a definite no no though :nono:
  11. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

I had a close call the other day while doing my site checks. 2 kids were playing on top of the snow pile, as i drove past one of them fell off. I saw it happen and swerved and he landed right beside my drivers side front tire. My deepest sympathy goes out to the family of the victim as well as the driver of the truck, i couldn't even imagine what he's feeling
  12. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I almost had this happen this summer I was at a customers house I do lawncare for and the lady next door does daycare, well the kids run all over I looked behind me nothing I started backing up and heard a solid beep (my back up sensor) hit the brakes looked in my mirror and this little girl went running by and was probably less than 6 inches from my bumper I almost had a heart attack.
  13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a call from the manager of my largest client--First Student,a bus transportation company.Apparently,one of their bus drivers was run over by the plowing contractor in one of their Long Island,NY locations while a truck was backing up.It was an elderly lady,not yet sure who's at fault and she unfortunately died.So the call was to tell me to be careful and of course I told her I always am,especially when I might have to do some salting during a storm while all the buses are jockeying all around me.So yesterday,in such an occasion,I'm backing slowly out between 2 buses and this driver runs right behind me,without making eye contact with me first or somehow making her presence known.It was fairly close,too close for my comfort level.Dropping a dime to the manager today to better train the drivers for ''working safely when the plower is working in the parking lots 101.''
  14. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

When I first posted this story it was un clear and still is unclear if the plow truck ran over or back over or just how this terrible accident happened. I know everyone has had close calls at one time or another Lets be Safe and keep this profession a Safe one
  15. fercho1

fercho1 Member

You couldn't have said it better!
  16. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

anyone with these stories have back up alarms?
  17. D&E

D&E Senior Member

The drunk college kids are the worst. I was on my route at 3AM on a Saturday going right through downtown Kent. A group of kids was standing on a street corner outside a bar and one of them had the brilliant idea to play chicken with me. Literally jumped right in front of me and stood there while I was making a run to the pile. I don't get it. Bright red truck, strobes all going, loud diesel. What was he thinking? Thank god the plow was on the ground and acted as an anchor, otherwise I don't think I would have been able to stop since it was so icy out.
  18. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

I think its the whole world. every one thinks they have a right a way. every one thinks they are better then the next person and its sick. next time your in traffic see how many cars go by before you get out. I was talking to a old timer a few days ago and he said " theres no respect for people like us" and its true.

i feel bad for the family and wish them the best.
  19. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

A close friend of mine called me about 2 weeks ago and said he just hit a snowmobile and thought the man was going to die. The man didn't stop for the stop sign that was at the end of my friends road my friend was only going about 30 mph but you can imagine what a plow does to a person. Later on that day my friend called me back and said the officer that was at the accident called him and said the man did die. It is so sad that in a blink of an eye a person could loose there life, now every day that my friend stops at that sign he will remember that awful day.