1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Draws lights down

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by vermonter36, Jan 17, 2007.

1. vermonter36

vermonter36 Junior Member

My 1995 f250 has a new 850cca battery,the alternator is charging at 14.5 volts but when I lift or angle the blade all of the lights dim, the heater fan slows down and the plow seems slow.Would installing a bigger alternator help or should I consider 2 batteries?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some light dimming is normal but your's sound's like it might be a little excessive.How old is the electric motor on you lift unit? If the motor has a lot of use or age on it they can draw an excessive amount of power. Head down to a local electrical or repair shop.They can do an amp test on the motor to see how much power it's consuming. I replace any that draw more than 230 amps at full load.Your may be drawing much more.
  3. Whip

Whip Member

Along with what B&B said, realize that the heater fan is one of the biggest amperage draws on your vehicle. It could draw up to 15 amps. Won't take much to dim the lights then. I turn mine off when I get to the site and back on when I leave. If it's a parking lot, I just run it on low.
    Unless that truck came with a plow package, it probably only has a 55-60 amp alternator that is now 12 years old if it hasn't been replaced. Amperage does the work-voltage pushes it where it's going.

If you go the 2 battery route-which works out well, both batteries have to be replace at the same time as new. You can't just go get a new battery and add it. The new battery would be sucked down to the condition of the existing battery. Needless to say, if the older battery is bad, the new one will become bad sooner than it should.

Also, check and clean your battery connections and make sure you have a good ground for the pump.